Warranty information

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
Nazul

Warranty information

Post by Nazul » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 am

I have an unofficial dealer/tuner here in Belgium, which gets his hondatas from CPL who states the following:

In order to receive any warranty on flashpro and kpro we have to lock the map on the ecu.
This way it is impossible to alter the map on the car by the client because he does not get the password.

He claims he has the intelectual property of the map and this way he is not obligated to keep the map open for the client.

The result is, when someone wants to change the map, the original tuner has to unlock it first, and he asks a payment for this as well.

He says he had this directives from CPL itself, a certain person Lynn of the sales said this to him.
he also says he has deals with hondata to do this.

I want a final and clear answer from Hondata itself what is true about his story, in my opinion the client should always have access to his map which he paid big bucks for, to alter it.

Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Warranty information

Post by Hondata » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't want to get into a hearsay he said / she said discussion, but two things:

- Hondata will warranty all products regardless of whether they have been security locked.

- The ownership of the tuned settings & tables in a calibration are a matter of agreement between the customer and tuner. The exact wording from our dealer agreement is:

Calibration Locking
For any ECU, either supplied to a vehicle owner or updated as part of a dyno tuning session, if the resulting calibration file is not supplied to the vehicle owner then the dealer must have the written permission of the vehicle owner to ‘lock’ the ECU calibration.
If the calibration is locked and the vehicle owner experiences a problem which has been fixed in a subsequent software release then the dealer must update the ECU at no charge (excluding any reasonable freight, duty and tax costs).
Hondata

Nazul

Re: Warranty information

Post by Nazul » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for clearing this out Hondata.