What application would be the best? Opinions

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
GSR SIR-G

What application would be the best? Opinions

Post by GSR SIR-G »

Hello all, I have a 95 GSR with a B18C in it. Im kind of hung on what kind of ECU would be the best for me. Ive got skunk2 stage 1 cams and cam gears and an Apexi VAFC. Those are the only engine mods. Exhaust is also done, with an Apexi N1 Catback and DC 4-2-1 headers. I was thinking the s200 system, but the VTEC controller would be a waste. I read the stage 2/3/4 page and im still not sure why it is recomended that my car should use the s100 or s200 systems instead of the stage systems. Some advising or help would really help me out. Thanks.
Love the japanese! Their awsome.
DaX

Post by DaX »

Sell your VAFC on ebay, get an S200.
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

The Apexi SAFC is a air flow meter signal alteration device. The VAFC is the same with a switch that controls the VTEC RPM engagement.

Now here is my question how does the VAFC change the air flow meter signal on a car that uses a speed density system? You can't alter the MAP sensor signal or you would alter the fuel and timing together. If you were to change the VTEC crossover the fuel and ignition tables are preset within the ECU to switch when the right conditions are present (i.e. rpm, coolant temp, load, etc..). VTEC ECUs use multiple fuel and ignition tables that would switch as needed by the ECU. So when the VAFC switches, the fuel and ignition would change at a different time within the ECU. During this time the ECU will be significantly un-optimized. The only way to change the switch over on vtec is to do it from the programming of the ecu. That is the one benefit of the hondata system. With any S200 or staged system you have the option of changing the switch over yourself or have it preset by the Hondata dealer.

Joe.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer