4b tuning NA? & recording feature

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
Aspirate

4b tuning NA? & recording feature

Post by Aspirate »

Ive been thinking the Hondata Stage 4b is just for boost.
Is it capable of tuning NA? If it is, what problems will I run into?

Also, Please let there be a feature where I can just record what a Stock ECU does in fueling & timing maps, without interupting it.
I hate starting from scratch & killing a perfectly brand new motor. Even the baseline maps given, can differ because of the conditions the ecu was put through, or am I not getting what the term "baseline" means?

Thanks
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

Your NA vehicle will work just fine w/o boost tables. As far as the longivity of the engine is concerned is of very little in the hands of Hondata. This is where a wideband O2 sensor comes in handy. Since these may be out of reach for most people It would be advised to take the vehicle the one of the dealers and have them work out the fuel tables. The Ignition tables would need to be done on a dyno anyways.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer
Aspirate

4b NA & recording feature

Post by Aspirate »

Carchitect wrote:Your NA vehicle will work just fine w/o boost tables.
What I meant to ask was: If I plan on running 4b, and the motor is normally aspirated, is it possible to disable the boost tables. Or if there is no way of disabling the boost table, then will I run into problems running normally aspirated??
Carchitect wrote:As far as the longivity of the engine is concerned is of very little in the hands of Hondata. This is where a wideband O2 sensor comes in handy.

Im trying to make mine.
Carchitect wrote:It would be advised to take the vehicle the one of the dealers and have them work out the fuel tables. The Ignition tables would need to be done on a dyno anyways.
What I meant was: Is there any feature where I can obtain what the stock ECU is doing to the fueling & ignition maps without interupting it? (that means not working out the fuel or ignition tables).

thanks for your post!! It has been a while since ive posted this, and Im still searching. There is not enough info, people only learn what it has if they only bought the product.:roll:
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

The baseline tables from ROM Editor are fairly good for a baseline run. They won't ruin a brand new engine if tuned properly. To tune the system you will need to use a Wideband O2 sensor to tune the fuel. I've tried to tune using the factory O2 sensor and it isn't very accurate after it gets out of stoich. The wideband will let you know if you are running lean or rich and how far into it. It can mean the life or death of you engine if misused. The ignition timing will need to be determined after you work out the A/F ratio. Boost can be turned of if desired but will not affect the way your vehicle drives when it is in NA only mode. Fuel tables are based of RPM and MAP (either vacuum or boost). So if you don't have boost you won't have the additional fuel going in.

Keep in mind that a boosted engine behaves different enen under no boost than a NA vehicle so if you plan on tuning the boost tables only after you have tuned the vehicle in NA you may run into problems. You really should tune the entire powerband both while you run NA and when you convert to boost.

I've been running a stage 4 boost on my NA B17A for 6 months with a 3 Bar map sensor. my vehicle give me any where from 30-35 MPG on the highway .With the prelude injectors and type-R cams and intake manifold it flows so well that the stock B17A ECU couldn't run right at all. I had tried all tricks and the Hondata ECU gave me the oppurtunity to idle at the desired idle (approx. 1000 rpm) work out the A/F ratio just like the engineers had designed the vehicle and tune the ignition timing to give me power where it needs it.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer