ECU Wire Pin Removal

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
taohawaii

ECU Wire Pin Removal

Post by taohawaii » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:43 pm

I believe that it is necessary to remove the ECU pin in order to connect an input or output. I.E. Clutch switch. I have been thus far unable to remove the pin however. Is there a trick to this?

Also, Where can I obtain replacement pins?

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:14 pm

You must pull out the lock on the bootom of the plug then use a depinning tool from the front of the plug. You can see a diagram in the Helms manual.

taohawaii

Still can't do it...

Post by taohawaii » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 pm

So I outed the money for the whole depinning tool set from Honda and still can't get a pin to remove from the socket.

It appears that there is a section of the connector (the full width of the connector) that snaps into place from the "side" or technically the bottom as the plug is perpendicular. I can pry this up about 1/8th of an inch but cannot remove it.

On the mating end of the connector are two holes per pin, a larger one and a smaller one. I believe that the smaller of the two is for the ecu pin which leaves the larger as the clip release. I insert the largest tool (which one should I use?) that will fit into the larger of the two holes for the pin while the "side" section of the connector is pry'd slightly (as much as it will, about 2-3mm) but the wire will not come out the back.

What am i doing wrong?

Man this sucks big donkey!!!!

taohawaii

Found a connector diagram!!!!

Post by taohawaii » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am

This is required reading! It explains what I was doing wrong and how to do it the right way.

Basically, the locking section has to be pried on, then you insert something really really small into the larger of the two pin holes and attempt to pry in a the direction away from the locking section of the plug while gently tugging on the wire.
Attachments
AMP_Honda_Pin_1.gif
AMP_Honda_Pin_1.gif (37.71 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
AMP_Honda_Pin_2.gif
AMP_Honda_Pin_2.gif (21.51 KiB) Viewed 3158 times

kb58

Post by kb58 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am

I found that a small jewler's screwdriver works well, available from either Home Despot or Radio Shack, and a lot cheaper than the Honda tools.
Mid-engine K24 turbo Locost, http://www.midlana.com

taohawaii

Replacement ECU pins

Post by taohawaii » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:46 pm

You can obtain replacement ECU pins from Newark here: http://www.newark.com/tyco-electronics- ... dp/85C1211

I have tested these and they fit perfectly. They are very cheap and allow you to do a good clean install just like factory without damaging your factory harness.