Using more than 10 columns in normally aspirated tuning?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
Arno

Using more than 10 columns in normally aspirated tuning?

Post by Arno »

I was just wondering about this...

The K-pro, when using forced induction, uses 16 load columns. Additional ones are added to the top of the N/A setup for positive pressure.

Is there anything in the ECU setup that would stop me from re-defining all 16 load columns into a normal normally aspirated setup (to up to about 1040mbar for the last one) and gain more cell resolution as a result?

I know this means more work during the tuning sessions (simple.. more cells ;) ), and the actual result may not be that much different from using the stock 10-column N/A setup, but I like the fact that this means the calibration contains more 'real' data points and the ECU needs to perform less large interpolation steps. It also means that I can up the resolution in the mid-range load sites where the engine will spend the most of it's time and where any additional smoothness is a bonus.

On some ECU's I know there's sometimes a tradeoff between using more columns/cells and for instance some adjustments that do not work anymore or in limited fashion. A bit like the added cell space is 'stealing' space from other features and limiting them or making the adjustments coarser.

The K-pro does not seem to have this issue, at least I can't find anything that seems to be affected when using more or less columns in the rest of the settings.

So in short.. My question would be: is there any operational/software difference in a K-pro between using 10 or 16 load columns or is there no difference at all?

Thanks!

Bye, Arno.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Using more than 10 columns in normally aspirated tuning?

Post by Hondata »

Yes, you can rescale the load index so that all 16 columns are used. Easiest way to to insert indexes in the middle. But the benefit is only going to be small.
Hondata
cranny

Post by cranny »

What is the reason why we can't have more boost columns? Why can't more be added? It's the only setback from this vs more expensive systems in my opinion. Say I wanna run 40+ psi in an sfwd car. You just don't have much resolution to work with.

Yes I know this thread is old.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Adding columns makes the tables bigger, and there is only so much room in the ECU.

When tuning too many tables are just more work. With interpolation 16 columns are enough for accurate mapping.
Hondata
cranny

Post by cranny »

I completely understand what your saying. I have been around your products , tuning and this site for quite some time. But. I have an sfwd eg hatch. I plan on running 40+ psi of boost. How can I do this with a kpro. There just isn't enough resolution. I don't want to switch to another system. But I'm trying to gather the opinion of you or Doug into the best way of pulling this off with a kpro
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Sure there is enough resolution for 40 lbs boost. Many people are doing this. It comes down to how linear your fuel & ignition curves are under boost, and what you acceptable error is from use 16 columns instead of an infinite number. I've yet to see boost tables which are not exceeding linear, so getting the required accuracy is not a problem.
Hondata
cranny

Post by cranny »

I hear ya. Basically what I have done is edited the last column and set it to what I think the max boost I will see will be. Than divided the difference amongst the remaining columns. I was thinking maybe it's possible to utilize columns 9-10 for boost as well since the car is a track only car. But as much tuning as I have done , I have never done much editing indexes.