cooling fan still always running and P0118 error code

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
manzo

cooling fan still always running and P0118 error code

Post by manzo »

Hi,
My car is a 92-95 civic hatchback (EG6) with a k24/k20 engine swapped.
Radiator Fan is activate by Kpro. (pra ecu)

At the beginning everything work good.
Later i installed a new head because i broken the older one, and the error code P0118 ECT Sensor High Voltage appear on Kmanager and my radiator fan never stop running.
Also when that error isn't show on kmanager, the fan start running when i turn the key.

Now i don't know what can i check and how i can do for fix it.
In my opinion the causes can be:
Wiring harness damage
Some ground or connections forgotten during the installation of the new head
Kpro not works good

During the installation of the new head, the fan radiator plug touched a positive cable (power cable from the battery). I immediately separate them and checked the cooling fan relay and fuse (in the OEM fuse box inside the engine bay): both are in perfect conditions.

On Kmanager i can set whatever temperature value to activate the fan, but it start running when i turn the key.
With new ect sensor and also with it unplugged, the fan still running.
If i run the car and i start datalogging, Kmanager read the ECT sensor and I can see the temperature that goes up.

Any councils? Any test to do? should the kpro be damaged?
I can connect it to my pc, datalogging, upload calibrationd, change all the parameters,etc
i tried also Clear security, but during the erasing, fan never stop (kpro with and without any calibration uploaded)
I'm totally desperate.

thanks in advance
kb58

Re: cooling fan still always running and P0118 error code

Post by kb58 »

manzo wrote:... and the error code P0118 ECT Sensor High Voltage..."
There's your answer. The ECU is seeing an abnormally high voltage on the sensor input wire, which means that there's no continuity from that pin to ground. So either the wire's broken, the sensor connector's open, the sensing element is open, or the sensor housing isn't grounded. The reason the fan's always running is because the ECU is always being told that the coolant temperature is maxed out.

Try this, with ignition on, add a jumper from the sensor pin to ground. If the warning disappears, the problem is the sensor or its grounding. If it doesn't, it means the problem is in your wiring between the sensor and the ECU. The fan will always run because you're mimicing the same problem - disconnecting the sensor means the ECU will see crazy high temperatures, and turn the fan on.

That'll be $100 :)

[edit] I don't remember if the sensor is one wire (to ground) or two wire. If it's two-wire you have to supply the ground yourself - another suspect in your troubleshooting.
Mid-engine K24 turbo Locost, http://www.midlana.com
manzo

Re: cooling fan still always running and P0118 error code

Post by manzo »

Thanks, however the car is already running with no issues.

The problems were 2:
-water circuit wasn't bleeded enough
- conversion harness was connected wrong. Using Kpro to activate the fan, the wire from the fan switch must no be used. Unfortunately I grounded it, f#&k!

Checked and disconnected , bleeded again: everything start work correctly