Speed limiter / Pit limiter

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
saveit

Speed limiter / Pit limiter

Post by saveit »

Hi Guys,

This has been asked a few times before, but I never found a solid answer.

We are racing a K20 with a sequential gearbox and would like a speed limiter / pit lane limiter for use at "Code 60" on the track and for pit lane speed limiting. We cannot exceed 40kph in the pit and 60kph on track when there is "Code 60" (virtual safety car). Our calculations show that this can be with a rev limit of 3900rpm which will give us 39kph in 1 gear (for pit lane speed) and 59kph in 2 gear (for code 60).

I see 2 options:

1. Use the "Burnout revlimiter" to simply lower the rev limit to 3900rpm which would fit the purpose. BUT I was told that this could be hard on the engine in the long run (sometimes we run 10-20 minutes under code 60 if there is a big crash). Is this correct? I believe it depends how the revlimiter is doing its magic.

2. Use the "Nitrous" function. Again I believe the option would be to let it cut fuel (or ignition, or both?) if the car exceeds 3900rpm. We have no speed sensor since we are running a different gearbox, so we cannot use the speed function here. How will this affect the engine under longer runs?

What is the best solution?

BR
Stefan (from Denmark)
saveit

Re: Speed limiter / Pit limiter

Post by saveit »

No one?
fonzeka

Post by fonzeka »

I would use the burnout limiter, don't think it's to bad for the engine to bounce on it at only 3900rpm.
Maybe you could combine it with the NOS control and retard the ignition slightly under 3900rpm to make the limiter a bit softer.
saveit

Post by saveit »

Thank you for your reply. Good idea to use them in combination.

Hondata; Could you clarify how the burnout revlimiter works on the kpro? If it works like the bigger aftermarket engine control units, then it takes out a cycle on each cylinder continuously after each other to balance the rev and so the car will run smooth. If it works by hardcutting, then the car will be jerking. Can you clarify?
fonzeka

Post by fonzeka »

From the help section "The burnout rev limiter acts as the normal rev limiter would."
So it will probably just cut the fuel.
Weel

Post by Weel »

So using a the burnout limiter wont do any long/short term damage to the engine if sitting on the limiter during pit entry exit?
saveit

Post by saveit »

Dont understand why Hondata doesn't clarify how the limiter works? Should be a very simple question.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The rev limited is fuel cut only. I would not run on the rev limit, even at 3900 rpm, for 10-20 minutes.
Hondata