Cam angle issue

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
tomekk

Cam angle issue

Post by tomekk »

Hi,

I am having an issue with cam angle, as advised by my tuner.
I asked him to remap after some recent upgrades and was told something was wrong.

I run a K20a2 EP3 honda civic with KPro4 on board.
I have attached my recent datalog file + a picture showing a comparison between my graph (above) and a one from other K20 recently remapped by the tuner. The lines look pretty much different and mine seems to be very rough / bumpy, doesn't it?

Frankly speaking, I don't really feel this weird cam angle reading while driving and most probably it's been like that since I bought it.
The car hiccups on low revs while gently opening throttle (eg when driving in a traffic jam) but I'm not sure if both things are linked.

I was advised to replace my PNC VTC solenoid in first step and test. I did that but no changes to the cam angle reading so VTC solenoid is not the root cause.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue, please?

thanks
Attachments
vtc_cmd_issue.png
vtc_cmd_issue.png (88.59 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
K20_run.kdl
(600.87 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Cam angle issue

Post by Hondata »

It is a mechanical cause or possibly one of the cam gear sensor wheels. You could remove and clean the VTC filter on the side of the cylinder head. Then check that you have good oil pressure. Then the next step would be to replace the VTC itself - at that point, if the jitter is not too bad I'd just leave it as it is.
Hondata
tomekk

Post by tomekk »

Thanks for your answer.
I will check the points indicated. Can this also be coming from insufficient timing chain tension?

To me the jitter is not too bad and as I said, I can't really feel it. The question is how much it can impact the performance.
I am afraid I am losing some power and have postponed the final tuning on the dyno until it is resolved to make sure I am getting the best performance possible with this setup.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

It could be from the timing chain lashing around. If you have stock cams then this is unlikely, but possible.
I do not think it will affect performance at all. I'd just want to make sure that it was not the tensioner or from low oil pressure.
Hondata
tomekk

Post by tomekk »

Clear, thank you. Next week I will be checking all those points and I will share the result with you.
6spd_ek

Post by 6spd_ek »

I had this issue years ago. It came about when I swapped in k24a2 into ep3. I change out the k24a2 RBB vtc solenoid for a PNC solenoid & the problem went away. Although it seemed to run fine I didn't like "jittery" datalogs