Alternator not charging, ELD Error, Evap/Purge Elect Error

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
bdtan

Alternator not charging, ELD Error, Evap/Purge Elect Error

Post by bdtan »

Hi,
I'm running the S2000 KPro on my 2004 SC'd S2000.

All of a sudden I'm getting an ELD high voltage error, Evap/Purge Elect error and the Primary O2 electrical error all basically at the same time.
At first I was getting the ELD error coming on and off a couple times. Every time it's on, the car's alternator stops charging completely.
Then after a couple days of that, the other two errors started, and now the alternator continuously won't charge.

Note, I did just remove my Hondata traction control unit (input into ELD) as it was throwing an error code in the TC display even when disconnected from the KPro. I went through sending datalogs and config files back and forth with Matt. Then finally he said to send the unit in as it seemed defective.
The ELD and charging issues started during this time that I had the Traction Control unit disconnected.
Could this have affected the ECU/ELD circuit?

Oh, also, why can I not find an actual "Detector Unit, Electronic Load" listed for sale for my car online?

Please help. Thanks,
Ben
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Alternator not charging, ELD Error, Evap/Purge Elect Error

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like there may be a wiring issue in this vehicle as it sounds like all these things started around the same time and involve wiring in the engine bay.
bdtan

Post by bdtan »

Well the TC unit was in the car for at least 3 months installed and wired before I removed it to ship back to Hondata. So no wiring changes were made recently.
The only change was that when the car first stopped charging on and off w/ ELD check engine light on (about 1.5 weeks ago), I changed the alternator. Otherwise no wiring changes have been made in months. Of course I disconnected the TC unit.
Any other ideas? I'm worried my KPro is having issues.

Thanks,
Ben
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The ECU should have nothing to do with the alternator charging the battery. Perhaps you have a bad alternator.
bdtan

Post by bdtan »

I replaced the alternator, and it still didn't work.

From what I've read, the alternator charging/on is dependent on the ELD signal read by the ECU and also the "Alternator FR" signal/wire from the ECU to the Alternator.

Is this not correct? The initial issues with the alternator not charging started when the ECU was throwing the ELD high voltage error.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

With ELD disconnected the Battery should still charge.

You should have the alternator tested outside the vehicle to see if it is in fact working or not. If there is some wiring fault then it may be damaging even a brand new alternator as soon as it is connected.