Dumb Noob or Bad motor?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
NotSinCos

Dumb Noob or Bad motor?

Post by NotSinCos »

First poster here.
A little about my car first, it is a 2004 Type-S k20a2, with 127k miles, only mods are an injen CAI and of course, Kpro.

So I re-installed the ECU, and loaded up the basemap, for k20a2 with CAI, and under some recommendations turned on Lean Protection and Knock Sensor, took it for a cruise and everything was fine.

I went back home, grabbed my laptop again, and this time I lowered the upper VTEC point to 4800 (just to play around with it since from what I've read all over the place, as long as you're between 3000 and 6500rpm you should be fine, worse case scenario you lose some power.)

I went for another cruise and this time decided to try out the new vtec point, only once i reached about 6.5-7k rpm my motor went up in a puff of smoke and I was running over bits of whatever my motor just blew out. I pulled over and took a look, and everything behind my motor is covered in oil, and it appears the source is just under the header.

So my question is: did I fuck up? Or was this just a giant coincidence.

I have to assume the former because that is one hell of a coincidence.
Jun43

Re: Dumb Noob or Bad motor?

Post by Jun43 »

Did you have a datalog of it when it blew? post your calibration.

Sounds like you had rod knock and it finally let go
NotSinCos

Re: Dumb Noob or Bad motor?

Post by NotSinCos »

I should have. I was just in too much of an excitement after having not driven my car for 2 weeks, and I only slept a few hours last night.

I knew I should've just left the vtec alone.

I just wanna know if it was me or if it was just something that was going to happen anyways.

Only datalog I have is from when it was idling just after loading the first kal I think.
Attachments
datalog1.kdl
Idle Datalog
(7.13 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
4800rpm upper vtec.kal
Kal
(163.2 KiB) Downloaded 90 times