can a k-pro do any sort of altitude correction?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
cbDrift

can a k-pro do any sort of altitude correction?

Post by cbDrift »

hi there,

i do not understand this correctly (my background in tuning is nissans with afm's) - so I'm asking if anyone knows and can explain for me please :)
Air density is temp based - but also the higher you go in altitude the less dense it gets ignoring temp - so there are two corrections required to know actual air volume.

Does the kpro / factory ecu combo have altitude correction as well as the already existing air temp correction at all?
Does the factory ecu have that sort of correction at all?
What happens to the afr's if you tune at sea level (or start the factory ecu at sea level) and then drive up a mountain?
Will the ecu / kpro correct for the less dense air on the fly or will it read the map sensor before the engine starts and use that value to correct as a one off unchanging value for that "engine running" period until you turn the key off again?
Is it possible with the kpro to plug in another map sensor and use that for correcting if the factory ecu doesn't do baro correction?
Do you need to compromise on the tuning to take into account the altitude range the person would be passing through?

i would be starting with a jdm ep3 ctr ecu (prd) if the ecu type makes any difference.

Just trying to learn more about the kpro to help with decisions around ecu to get - ive heard that things are not auto correcting - but thats hearsay and i am unsure as to how much of an issue it may end up being so I was hoping someone in the know may be able to answer my badly worded questions here please :)

Hondata
Site Admin

Re: can a k-pro do any sort of altitude correction?

Post by Hondata »

MAP based systems inherently correct for elevation and air pressure.
Hondata

cbDrift

Re: can a k-pro do any sort of altitude correction?

Post by cbDrift »

Thank you - that provides me some assurance around this - greatly appriciated :)