Anti-Lag

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
palmerblock

Anti-Lag

Post by palmerblock »

this would be super nice for us with turbo's, is this in kpros future?
imagine being staged with 12pounds of boost at the launch
12.3@115mph @ 14psi, (stock clutch-flywheel-differental), 24.5in M&H Slicks, Full Interior
Cybernation Stage 1 w/60-1 Hifi, Hondata Kpro
TnT

Post by TnT »

I was emailed hondata about anti-lag system,
ill paste our dialog to here:

Me:Hi

Is there a way to use turbo anti-lag system on k-pro ecus. or are you going to add ALS feature to k-pro in next versions.
Sorry my bad english
Thanks

Hondata:
What antilag system are you are referring to?

Hondata Inc.
386 Beech Ave
Unit B-2
Torrance, CA 90501
310.782.6383 FAX
http://www.hondata.com

Me:

Hi again, thanks for response
I am referring
"When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40? or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off).
The ALS effect is mostly dependent on the air allowed into the engine, the more air supplied the more the ALS effect will be noticeable. Consequently ALS systems can be more or less aggressive. A mild ALS will maintain a 0 to 0.3 bar pressure in the inlet manifold when activated whereas, when inactive, the pressure in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed would be in the region of -1 bar (absolute vacuum). Racing ALS versions can maintain a pressure of up to 1.5 bar in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed.
While the systems mounted in Toyota and Mitsubishi racing cars are relatively smooth and noiseless those fitted in Ford and Subaru cars are much more noisy and aggressive.
The bang-bang system owns its name to the loud explosion noises one hears whenever the driver lifts off. Most racing implementations have user selectable anti-lag settings depending on the terrain, usually three settings can be selected by the driver going from mild to very aggressive."

Thanks
Yuregir Tekeli

Hondata:

Without knowing more about how this connects and works, I cannot tell you if it will work or not.

Hondata Inc.
386 Beech Ave
Unit B-2
Torrance, CA 90501
310.782.6383 FAX
http://www.hondata.com

Our conversation end with Matt...
i hope they will add this feature to k-pro

Thanks
stevenc

Post by stevenc »

this is a feature in the s300 and this feature was discussed with Doug yesterday and he said he said since the code is written for the s300, it shouldn't be to hard...
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Anti-lag is not planned for the K-Series. There are a number of technical reasons for this.
Hondata
thaduke2003

Post by thaduke2003 »

Any chance you'd name some? :) I know it's a rather dangerous thing to do to an engine (which is why rally teams come prepared with multiple engines), but beyond that, if it's on S300, why not do it on the K-series software? I, too, would love this- Mark W.
"Why are you cowering? It's only a drift..."
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

#1 The ECU cannot retard the ignition enough for anti lag to be effective.

#2 The heat damages the engine in fairly short order. Ever watched in-car rally video? The navigator switches off the anti-lag the instant the car crosses the finish line.
Hondata
thaduke2003

Post by thaduke2003 »

Gotcha on the first one- so it's a hardware problem with the stock ECU then?
And yes, I used to race rally- I know what it can do- I've watched the techs pull apart a block after a day of stages- ouchums! :) Just was wondering why it had been done on another of your ECU's and not on K-Pro- Mark W.
"Why are you cowering? It's only a drift..."
st00pid

Post by st00pid »

Would it be possible to add a timing retard and fuel addition to the launch control. Im only able to build 7psi at 6000rpm, however on the S300 I can build 10-15 fairly easily on a much larger turbo.