How I tuned my water/methanol injection

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:58 am

asutherland wrote:
Razathorn wrote: 130 is pretty warm, and without water/meth, my car detonates pretty decently as well. I used a snow performance kit, but I would probably go with aquamist next time.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean 1-2 degrees of advance? Like 1-2 TOTAL or over the base map?
Over base map. Today going up the highway for a couple hours drive I saw temps of 160 F. :( (without even being on it hard)

So the water/meth addition was well worth it huh? Do you know roughly how much lower its made the temp?

thx again
Andrew
You should check clubrsx's supercharged section. There are those of us who are seeing gains equal to that of a custom aftercooler with it. Note that it's only for on power usage. It will reasonably cool your intake charge (by how much, I do not know), but the real benefit is that the water you inject removes 6 times as much heat as unburned fuel from running rich (not to mention you will run many times as much water as you would have had unburned fuel from running rich) and the methanol has an octane rating of around 120. This means your effective fuel octane will be higher AND your can run leaner while still removing gobs more heat than just running rich. I did the math and it turns out you would have to run sub 7:1 a/f to equal the heat removal of the water alone if you were trying to do the same job with gasoline alone.

It is, without a doubt, very worth it for us. If you're going to road course the car, a custom aftercooler is a better bet, but if you're just daily driving, spraying while on the throttle is cheap, easy, and very very effective. Make sure to setup your lean protection incase your spray fails so it will cut you.
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled

asutherland

Post by asutherland » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Razathorn wrote:
asutherland wrote:
Razathorn wrote: 130 is pretty warm, and without water/meth, my car detonates pretty decently as well. I used a snow performance kit, but I would probably go with aquamist next time.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean 1-2 degrees of advance? Like 1-2 TOTAL or over the base map?
Over base map. Today going up the highway for a couple hours drive I saw temps of 160 F. :( (without even being on it hard)

So the water/meth addition was well worth it huh? Do you know roughly how much lower its made the temp?

thx again
Andrew
You should check clubrsx's supercharged section. There are those of us who are seeing gains equal to that of a custom aftercooler with it. Note that it's only for on power usage. It will reasonably cool your intake charge (by how much, I do not know), but the real benefit is that the water you inject removes 6 times as much heat as unburned fuel from running rich (not to mention you will run many times as much water as you would have had unburned fuel from running rich) and the methanol has an octane rating of around 120. This means your effective fuel octane will be higher AND your can run leaner while still removing gobs more heat than just running rich. I did the math and it turns out you would have to run sub 7:1 a/f to equal the heat removal of the water alone if you were trying to do the same job with gasoline alone.

It is, without a doubt, very worth it for us. If you're going to road course the car, a custom aftercooler is a better bet, but if you're just daily driving, spraying while on the throttle is cheap, easy, and very very effective. Make sure to setup your lean protection incase your spray fails so it will cut you.
Wow. Good info, thanks man. Equal to 7:1 a/f.... :shock: