2012 Civic SI (k24z7) error P0172 System too rich

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
isaiortiz1021

2012 Civic SI (k24z7) error P0172 System too rich

Post by isaiortiz1021 »

I upgraded my stock intake to a cold air intake after awhile of driving error code popped out p0172 system too rich i'm pretty sure I just need to calibrate tune the air to fuel since the intake is sucking more air than the stock one. I already have the flash pro and with some intakes it already has the intake brand ready to upload and re calibrate (base map). I'm new to this I need help on how to get this tune using flash pro I don't have a lot of knowledge with this like I said. Would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Civic SI (k24z7) error P0172 System too rich

Post by Hondata »

The problem isn't from the intake flowing more than stock (most don't) - it is because the air flow meter has been repositioned in a differently sized / shaped tube. This makes the air flow meter read as much as 50% different from the stock tube for the same air flow. Since the ECU determines fuel based on air flow, it adds too much fuel and then has to trim the fuel back under closed loop. If the fuel trim exceeds a certain value for a certain time you'll get an error code.

If you do change the intake then the solution is to either re-calibration the air flow meter (http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/tu ... m_flow.htm) or switch to volumetric efficiency tables, which don't use the air flow meter (http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/tu ... ensity.htm)

If you do tune the air flow meter mark the position of the clamps & rotation of the pipe, as just removing and replacing the intake can alter the air flow past the sensor if the tube goes back together slightly differently.
Hondata
mbatchvarov1

Post by mbatchvarov1 »

I purchased Flashpro to resolve this same issue but this code keeps coming back and I tried multiple calibrations that came with Flashpro but I'm afraid to re-calibration the air flow meter as I don't know enough about tuning. Can someone help me get rid of this code for once? My car even bogs down sometimes because running rich. Its 2013 SI and only bolt ons are Skunk 2 CAI and Skunk 2 catback exhaust. Thank you
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The code means something is wrong. You can't just clear it you need to fix it.
Hondata