Switching maps on the fly

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
jetspeedz

Switching maps on the fly

Post by jetspeedz »

Hi guys/gals, im new to this forum and new to Hondata but not new to tuning and other standalone and piggy back systems.

My question is i would like to be able to switch maps on the fly and i would like to know if this is possible?

Can the map be switched by using a switch (ground on/off to ecu)? or do i need to do it through USB and the software?

Thanks
FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

yes you can use the secondary map system in the Smanager. i dont know how safe it would be to just switch while under a certain load.
EFI-101 & Advanced Certified*
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

Good to know thanks for the info. Would it be safe to switch while in idle?
FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

im not sure Hondata will have to chime in on that i have never tried to switch anything before starting the car.
EFI-101 & Advanced Certified*
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

i sent them an email this would be good to know. On other efi units switching on the fly is not an issues. This is done especially on motorcycles with different ems systems so im hoping its possible with hondata as well.
OSracer

Post by OSracer »

Ive loaded maps while at idle Im not going to recommend it as nothing happened to me but it is probably not recommended
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

thanks OSracer, i assume the map was loaded via software correct?

Is there a jumper or way to make the map switch on the fly with a toggle or momentary switch?
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

yes,u can switch maps on the fly,automatically due to certain engine conditions &/or manually with a switch.
its called secondary tables,check it out in the parameters section.

there are other options for introducing alternative fueling/ignition as well,depending what u want the alternative mapping for.

if your running a vtec engine,than your already switching maps on the fly,from low to high speed tables,if u want alternative maps on top check out all the options under parametersfor what u want the switching for.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

I see so it is possible to switch on the fly with a toggle switch. What pin outs does the switch get wired to? Is there an internal pull resistor 5v somewhere for the switch?

thanks
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

just open Smanager & go to secondary tables tab under parameters.

there u will see a drop down list of available inputs that u can use for the switch input.
it will depend which of these inputs u are not using/willing to sacrifice or have spare as to which u use & how u will configure the wiring of the switch.

i think i remember most of the available inputs are ground triggers,prob just the brake switch input that will be positive trigger.
input can be inverted by check box next to drop down list,so no need to worry about normally open or closed setup.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

excellent, i will end up using the EGR A11 if it is available in the drop down, would i still need to wire in the hardware for A11 which is normally used for boost solenoid control?
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

A11 is EGR output,all A-plug wires are outputs if they are not power or ground.

the EGR input u are thinking of is D12 & i just had a look & its not available.it is an analogue input in any case,usually used for WB's/fuel pressure/EGT/etc.

only 6 input options come up
-A/C switch
-power steer
-brake switch
-vtec pressure switch
-service check connector
-always on(i assume this will switch according to engine parameters,but not sure)

its not hard to sacrifice one of these,usually at least one of the luxuries is missing on a modded car,if not just use the SCS connector input since u can set timing & check fault codes with Smanager anyway.

it sounds like u have not got a copy of Smanager,just download it(its free & not very large file) & just open up one of the "new calibrations" in it & have a play around,that will probably answer a lot of your questions & u can get familiar with the software before u start tuning.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

You are correct i have not downloaded it yet the Hondata is in the mail on its way. i will download and look into it. It makes sense the A plus is all output so now i know i will have to use a D plug instead for input.

If i understand correctly i can use the green plug under the drivers side dash to throw the CEL codes correct as the input to switch between maps. There are two wires on that plug i assume i simply connect a switch between the two completing the circuit via switch to flip between maps.

Using the software to check for fault codes will be fine if i have to sacrifice the green plug for this switch.

thanks for looking into this for me. Ill dig into the software and check everything. i also assume with fuel tables there is a corresponding set of ignition tables as well. Also curious if there is a Ram air factor that can be turned off on the dyno but doubt its as prevalent in a car vs a motorcycle.
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

just fyi,A/C & power steer inputs exist on B-plug,but im sure u will discover this.

yes,green plug is SCS connector(its actually blue plug in green cover,getting petty arent i,lol)

one of the wires goes to ground the other goes to ECU,so yes,just cut a switch into these 2 wires of the blue plug & mount where u desire.

hopefully u will never see a fault code & in any case most diagnosis & repair will be done back at the garage anyway.
im not sure whether fault codes will still flash on the CEL if the SCS is used for something else,im using mine to activate datalogging,but i have never had a fault to see if this is the case.

as i said u can also set timing with Smanager as well,so the SCS is not a big sacrifice by any means.

no such ram compensation exists in the software to my knowledge,maybe if u can achieve some ram in your setup then u will have to just roll off the dyno & go clean up the fine tuning on the street......err....i mean track....

yes for every fuel table there is a corresponding ignition table.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

I see, i will have to look at the wiring diagram and check all the inputs and what plugs they go into.

And your right its blue with green cover lol

Using this will be the easiest and if there is a fault i assume the CEL will light up correct but i will obviously not be able to throw the code and have it flash. Using the software will i be able to find out what the actual code is if there is a actual fault? I don't want to sacrifice this if i can not at least use the software to find out the code.

Good to know about ram air, i didn't really thing it would be an issue on a car. Wide bands are great aren't they lol