ECU socketing problem

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
pvt_awol

ECU socketing problem

Post by pvt_awol »

Is there any reason that you guys can think of that would cause ECU socketing to go bad over time?

ECU was socketed by me about 3 years ago for an S300. Car was tuned, and has been driven ever since.

Yesterday, the car died, throws a solid CEL, and will not start. I've traced the problem to the ECU.

It will no longer start the turbo car (780cc injectors, GM 3 bar MAP) but when I plug it into a stock integra, it starts it just fine (like a stock P28 would) but still throws the solid CEL. No codes are stored, and the laptop will connect to the s300, but will not show any sensor readings from either car.

Can the socketing just "go bad"?
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

Have u looked inside ecu yet?

Any obvious signs of a component gone bad in ecu or s300 board not seated nice & firm?

U could run thru the socketing with a multimeter to check joints,solder joints can go bad over time,especially when not done properly in first instance.

Maybe even try disable J1 & try it on stock teg...
Does the stock teg limp on the solid CEL?
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

I did open up the ecu, and I can't "see" anything wrong. I checked that the S300 board was seated properly.

I ran out of time tonight, but I'm gonna cut the J1 tomorrow, and see how the ECU runs the teg. I don't want to drive it too much, as a stock P28 still isn't such a good thing to run a GSR on.

Also, really quick, is there any reason why a stock P28 wouldn't start an engine with 780cc injectors or a GM 3 bar? I only ask, cause I want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the car itself.
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

Sorry,not following u

Were u trying to run stock teg on 780cc/3bar calibration to test?

If so,see what a p72 stock cal in the s300 will do on the stock teg,before u J1 it.

Stock P28 on 780/3bar will most likely not start it,u will have about half the fuel value for stock injectors pouring thru roughly 3 times the injector size so still too much fuel & 3bar will also be showing ecu about half of true pressure so a lot of timing as well.

It sounds like u arent trying anything with the cals,if also true,try reuploading your tuned cal file to the ecu on the boosted car & see if that helps anything before digging further,or even try another cal file of similar specs to see theres nothing wrong with your current file..
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

^

ok, let me rephrase.

95 civic LS/VTEC-T: 3 bar map, 780cc build. The hondata is tuned for this car. This is the car that will not start now. I tried a stock P28 in the civic, just to see what would happen, and the stock P28 won't start it either. My question was: would a stock P28 start an engine with those injectors etc. I didn't think it would, and you have stated it wouldn't either. I'm inclined to believe you.

My test on the '99 GSR was this: I unhooked the stock ecu, and plugged in my Hondata P28 from the civic using an OBD1 converter. The integra fires right up. Doesn't even run rough. The CEL is solid still however, and there is no code to be thrown.

This leads me to believe that something on the Hondata board went bad, or something in the connections to the Hondata board went bad. This is strange, as I've had the car setup and running for 3 years now. Nothing has changed. The new car has been being driven for 6 months or more also.

So, what I was going to do is, cut the J1, see if the hondata P28 will still start the integra, but without the CEL. If that is the case, then I know my problem lies with the Hondata or the connections. If the CEL is still solid, then my problem is probably with the P28 ecu itself. In which case, I can buy another P28, chip it, and put the S300 into the new ECU.

I just don't want to shop for a new P28 yet, until I know that is for sure the problem.
BLKACK1

Post by BLKACK1 »

I had a similar problem with my last P28, solid CEL and my display woulndt give me any readings. I came to find my ecu was bad
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

^

I suppose that is probably my case as well. I cannot see why or how any of the Hondata stuff would fail. And OBD-1 Honda ECU's are prone to fail.

Does anyone know if Hondata sells the s300 ecu kit by itself? Without another S300?

I could order all the parts off line from various sites, but I would assume that Hondata knows EXACTLY what parts to use. Anybody know?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can purchase a socketing kit through any Hondata dealer.
BLKACK1

Post by BLKACK1 »

brian at weksos tried to find me an install kit for a couple of weeks and after no luck. I just ended up sending my ecu to JDP at hondata along with my new ecu. It cost me $100 to have it installed including the installation kit.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

^

was that for shipping and everything out the door? What was the turnaround time?
BLKACK1

Post by BLKACK1 »

unfourtunatly not, shiping and return shipping cost me an additional $60

I was told about 3 days turnaround, but in actuality. it was almost a week and a half, not including the time it was in transit
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

^

......yeah.... it sounds to me like I just need to hit up Radio Shack, and get out the old trusty soldering iron.
BLKACK1

Post by BLKACK1 »

thats was an option, but personaly I dont trust myself with that and such a sensitive piece of ecuipment like an ECU:D