Low idle in high humidity weather?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Rasmusm

Low idle in high humidity weather?

Post by Rasmusm »

Hi all

I noticed the last couple of days the car will idle very low, to the point where it would die on me..
The weather has been like raining and constantly foggy all day long.. I guess this is why it idles low?

Had to open hondata and adjust the idle settings a bit to keep it from dying on me..
What can the explanation be to this?

/Rasmus
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Low idle in high humidity weather?

Post by Spunkster »

Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

Oh sorry, right now the car is located on my work.

But heres some info about her.
4th gen prelude
Darton sleeved h22a5 block with 12.5:1cr CP pistons, skunk2 pro2 cams, rc550cc injectors, euro r intake manifold, aem v2 intake filter, hytech replica exhaust manifold, exhaust is 2.5" with 400cell race cat, port/flowed head with skunk2 valves putting out 270 crank horsepower.

I dont have the serial number for my s300 right now, but its on a P72
Also heres an attachment from the map we made
http://gratisupload.dk/vis/703064 yellow download bar, its on danish dont worry..

Increased idle to 1400rpm and also changed some on the idle speed vs coolant temperature moving idle, to make her run again
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

please attach your datalogs and calibration here on the forum.
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

Here they are.
The log is a few days old though, theres no problem when driving in this weather only the humidity affects the idle. Or so I believe.
I do however have an issue with part throttle when in closed loop and voltage target is set to run 2.3v ~afr 14.7 it will bug and do all kinds of weird stuff. That was the main reason I made the log, for my tuner to see if there was any problems, but we couldnt find any thing. I believe I hit the highway around 9min in and it bugs and acts up. Only part throttle nothing when giving it gas, thats why I ran openloop to keep the AF down
Attachments
021013-log.s3d
(5.26 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
211013-fnal.skl
(41.24 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I do not see any idling in that datalog
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

Ill get a fresh log tomorrow, thanks for helping out
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

The first "idletest.s3d" is with the new idle settings I made, idles quite high today, but weather is also fine atm. Ran normal idle speed the last few days with rainy weather. With this map on cold starts in the mornings it will idle around 2k rpm and slowly drop, but the other map I usualy run it will sit around 1400-1500ish rpm till hot. Which is fine for me. I find it quite weird it will idle that high in mornings, I only changed 100rpm on idle speed or something and a bit on the iacv settings.

The second "idletest1.s3d" I made is with my other map I normally run where I adjusted the idle and it is spot on, or use to be. I've attached that map aswell "101013final.skl"
Attachments
101013final.skl
(41.21 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
231013-idletest1.s3d
(512.81 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
231013-idletest.s3d
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Since one is a cold start and the other is already hot when you start datlogging it is hard to compare the datalogs
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

Well it did idle but was very low, came to a situation in city traffic the other day when raining. Had to quickly move the foot off the break pedal to the gas pedal and pull the hand break to slow down. Quite a pain to drive with :-)
also feels like its harder to start (hot start) in this weather, like when it cranks and engine is running, its sitting at 300rpm for a few secs till I give it gas then its okay. But might be my IAT sensor heat soaking in my intake manifold.. Thats my guess

will make a new idle log tomorrow with old map,
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

I've attached the "old idle map" with a cold start. Ran fine today, but again it doesnt in high humidity weather.. But I guess thats how it should be?
Attachments
241013-oldidlemap.s3d
(5.67 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If it only happens when humid then you may have a wiring or mechanical problem that is affected by getting wet.
Rasmusm

Post by Rasmusm »

Hm ye could be, maybe a bad ground somewhere..? Will check up on that when its getting in for the winter..
Did you notice the high ignition in low rpm range, after giving it some gas and it drops down again? It will die on me if it doesnt get alot of ignition there
Johnny_9

Rusty Corroded Ground

Post by Johnny_9 »

Spunkster wrote:If it only happens when humid then you may have a wiring or mechanical problem that is affected by getting wet.
Yes. Rusty corroded ground? For your reference (Ref - http://www.interfire.org/res_file/92114-10.asp)

Electrical current will flow through water or moisture only when that water or moisture contains contaminants such as dirt, dusts, salts, or mineral deposits.

Be interested to know your findings.
AaronEG

Post by AaronEG »

i can help you out
i have sent you a PM
LogFileTuning