ECU map sensor not reading correctly

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
forevertrj

ECU map sensor not reading correctly

Post by forevertrj »

I'm helping a friend in the states (i'm from canada) over skype and we've troubleshot his car as far as his map sensor is putting out 2.8volts on the (white)sensor wire, the red/yellow(power) reads 5v and the green/white(ground) reads as a good ground, HOWEVER his ecu is reading either 14psi or -14"/Hg don't know since I'm not there but this is obviously incorrect. he says he's rewired everything with home runs no splices, what could be telling the ECU a different voltage than 2.8volts at atmospheric (engine off) when it should be reading between -0.4 and 0.4" aka columns 9/10. a bad ground was my first thought, but we measured pins D17/19/21/22 and they came back D17(map sensor) was 2.8volts at atmosphere aka 0" /Hg, pin D19 is map 5v and we got that, and we got good grounds for D21 and D22 the sensor grounds.

we started with a new calibration from the button on Smanager, and selected a stock D16 92-95 civic which is what the motor is, and has stock injectors 240cc, and the stock map sensor brand new from autozone. we hooked up a vacuum pump to the map and tested the voltage at -30" /Hg and got 0.1volts so pretty much bang on.

So to recap, everything is stock D16z6/y8, created a brand new calibration(left everything stock) connected a computer and under the sensors list we are using "/psi and under the settings they are set up like this.

vacuum/pressure units = Inch
vacuum unit base = atmospheric (decreases from atmosphere)

pressure unit = PSI
pressure unit base =( atmosphere = 0)

and yet we are still getting a readout on Smanager for MAP sensor of 14"/Hg when it should be zero.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: ECU map sensor not reading correctly

Post by Spunkster »

Test the ECU on a known working car to rule out a bad ECU. If it reads correctly on a different ECU then it could be a faulty MAP sensor or wiring.
Peter S.

Post by Peter S. »

He is helping me...unplugged the S300 ECU today and plugged in the stock P28 that I have. Car idles fine and I drove the car for 10 minutes. No check engine light, nothing. Plugged back in the Hondata S300 and still reading positive boost. no changes what so ever to the wiring. Motor and wiring are spot on. Not sure if it is a setting in the hondata or did just the MAP functions in S300 go bad?

Here is a datalog that I just did with the S300. you can see that I have to have the throttle barely touched. shows correct in the table index tracking in vacuum but the map sensor is still reading boost??? Stock D16 P28 file loaded and only disabled the ELD and IAC error. it kept popping those codes, again bone stock ecu popped no codes. Idled perfect and drove fine.
Attachments
map.s3d
(479.88 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The MAP reading in the datalog is normal. In the sensors set the MAP unit to "/psi and it should be fine.
Hondata
forevertrj

Post by forevertrj »

Yea I was wondering if it was a setting thing but 14 seemed to be a weird number unless for some reason its showing ambient pressure which is 14.7 I'll get Peter to video chat me his laptop screen so I can see all the exact settings
forevertrj

Post by forevertrj »

so i watched that data log and right at the very end the TPS sensor goes down to 0% and then everything just goes all to shit, i wonder if there is an issue with the TPS sensor wiring or grounds, I'll test this with peter tonight if he's available.
Peter S.

Post by Peter S. »

No that was the car dying because I let off the throttle. It will not idle on it's own w/ the S300 Ecu.

1. Stock P28 ECU starts, idles and drives perfect no codes.

2. put in Hondata S300 P28 as shown in the datalog and car does not start without giving it gas and it will eventually start but will not idle on it's own. Then throws code for ELD and IACV. again doesn't make sense because of #1. I drove the car for 10-15 and no issues.

Put the 880's in and made all adjustments for them and left in the stock MAP. Car Cranks and nothing, no popping or nothing unless I give it gas. It pops twice and nothing. I don't feel like driving a boosted car w/ a GT35 on it all motor. I have the correct dead times loaded, have the 880's on fuel trim. ELD disabled and the LC1 going to D10 and that checked as well. There is no way that it can't be something wrong with the hondata. Is there a way for me to send it in to get tested? I am going to load a datalog of the 880's no crank. You can see the values are tracking in columns 9-10 because the map sensor is still reading zero. So it's in the wrong fuel tables. I have tried 3 different boosted maps that have worked on this car before. still nothing. So recap so you don't blame the car. car drives fine on the stock P28 that I have in all stock set up. S300 and car will not start on it's own or idle in stock form.
Attachments
880no crank.s3d
(95.51 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

Post your current calibration
Peter S.

Post by Peter S. »

AREA876 wrote:Post your current calibration
It was the stock P28 calibration w/ the 800cc injectors updated?

I am currently moving to another state and I am just going to look for a tuner near me out there and see if I can get the Hondata ECU tested or just bring the program over to my other stock ecu and see if it will work in that ecu. Other than that I am assuming I will have to buy a new Hondata program.
forevertrj

Post by forevertrj »

hey peter I know we've already talked via PM but I thought I would just post this here as well, like I've said in the past you CAN'T just change injectors and set dead times and expect it to work, this is why i said to get everything working on stock injectors first with the stock map before you start changing things that need drastic tuning if you don't have a clue about what your doing. also you never let me remote desktop into your laptop using teamviewer which is a non invasive, that would have let me verify the settings on your laptop, I'm glad your going to find a tuner, and look into that engine emulator to test the ECU, the fact that the other stock ecu ran the car no problem, ultimately leads me to believe that either your hondata ECU is bad, or something in the calibration is not correct.
Let's not make assumptions, please leave as much detail as possible!