Random Idle stall / initial start from stop stall...

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
simjosh

Random Idle stall / initial start from stop stall...

Post by simjosh »

- serial number of the s300 inside the ECU
- version of software being used (Help, About)
- the calibration (as an attachment)
attached
- a datalog of a problem (as an attachment)
attached
- what sort of vehicle you have
1995 Integra RS
- what sort of ECU you are using
P28 Chipped from HAMotorsports
- anything about the car which has been modified from stock which may affect the ECU (don't include what sort of rims you have nor stereo etc).
Built bottom end - JE Pistons 81.5mm 9.0:1cr, Eagle Rods, ID 1000cc Injectors, B16A head, GSC T1 cams with GSC valvetrain, Greddy TD0518G Turbo, Full 3'' downpipe and exhaust
- Summit CDI Ignition box, Crane Coil, Stock igniter bypass, BRK7EIX plugs

I had an issue with the alternator the other day and replaced it. Though that due to massive voltage changes that the car was having issues with dead times... Got that corrected and now I'm stuck again. I've added fuel, removed fuel.. If I lay into the pedal while taking off from a stand still *basically peel out at red lights / stop signs* it works fine.

In the attached log you will see within the first 60 seconds I go excessively lean with injectors going from 2-3ms to 0 a couple times... Magically it straightens out and works perfectly from there. I got the vehicle street tuned by a local tuner until I re-install my turbo so that I could get some mileage on the engine / cams.

All grounds are new / clean. Engine harness is a new Rywire harness. Car ran great for about 1 week before this started happening.
Any advice or areas I can check would be greatly appreciated. ** I've also checked fuel pressure and it remains stable around 40-43 - I believe it fluctuates due to the camshafts low idle.

Again... Engine runs GREAT at anything from a moving speed.. 3mph = good... 70 = good...

Any ideas or areas to check would be appreciated as I'm pulling hair trying to find the issue at such low engine rpm/load.

Thanks again..

Joshua
Attachments
GSC_ALT_FIRST_gEAR_1-180405-001.s3d
(3.82 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
simjosh

Re: Random Idle stall / initial start from stop stall...

Post by simjosh »

Attaching file.... somehow forgot on last post...
Attachments
GSC_ALT_FIRST_gEAR_1.skl
(43.66 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you look at your datalog your MAP reading hardly changes throughout the entire log. I would start looking there as that does not look right.
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

I'll look at replacing it but I was under the impression due to the overlap on the camshafts (GSC T1's) that they just pulled minimal vacuum - Resulting in -7 to -2 inhg readings. Which is basically 1/3 of my last head and cams (stock b18b1 cams and head). I was originally worried about the low low readings also but the tuner though it normal...

I'll find a replacement and try it. Anything else that would point out a tuning issue?

Thanks!
Josh
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

Spunkster wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 am If you look at your datalog your MAP reading hardly changes throughout the entire log. I would start looking there as that does not look right.
Just ordered a Hondata 4 bar sensor just to be on the safe side... Hopefully it will come in over the weekend and I can get a new log up.
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

Added in another data log.. It's longer and around 30 second mark you'll see the ignition / fuel spasm.
Attachments
GSC_ALT_FIRST_gEAR_1-180405-005.s3d
(2.86 MiB) Downloaded 169 times
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

Buddy let me borrow a motorola 2.5 bar map sensor.. installed and instantly got a wider vacuum range / reading.. Set the map up with readings up to -19inhg, looked great and smoothed everything out. Tried taking off and same thing. AFR goes massively lean and bouncing rpm / tac

Could a faulty ignition box cause this issue? I can give it some gas like before and it runs fine then everything just falls on its face.

Summit (Summit branded CDI) didn't have anything specific to check - Just --- dizzy (don't think that's the case as I retain rpm throughout the data logs which I believe is received from the dizzy), coil, and ignition box.

Why am I so lean during this weird spike? Wouldn't the injectors continue to fire resulting in a rich mixture if ignition fires late or not at all?

I'm attaching a copy of the current file along with the datalog. Around 8 minutes is when I try the forward or backwards drive to test the "problem".. Basically same as before but with a better map range.. Good catch!
Attachments
GSC_ALT_FIRST_gEAR_moto-180405-006.s3d
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
GSC_ALT_FIRST_gEAR_moto.skl
(45.64 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

looking at that calibration you should not run it as it has less fuel under boost than it does at atmospheric pressure on the low cam. I would recommend that you just start form a relatively stock base calibration built into the software and then tune it from there as needed on the dyno.

Since you have aftermarket ignition components it is very possible that there could be a problem there as well.
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

The compressor housing is removed and I haven't even looked/tuned those cells.. basically tuner worked strictly on the low/high cam and vtec crossover so that I could finish off my part throttle cruising. Once turbo was rebuilt I'd bring it in for the DYNO.

I've got a new ignition box coming today as the symptoms around minute 8 seem ignition module related. I'll find out later on today. Thanks for looking at the logs and catching the map sensor issue. I've got a Hondata 4 bar also coming in today.. I'll start with a fresh map and see how that goes.
Thanks!
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

Ok, I've fixed the map sensor issue with a new Hondata 4 bar sensor.

I've also changed the tune some since my previous tune was basically trash.

I'm still having some slight hiccups taking off from first gear.. During a street tune this wasn't present.. I'm not sure if this is because I'm riding the gas(throttle pedal) a little more during that process?
If I try steady state tuning on a long straight road in the lower rpm / columns 7-10 I'm actually rich in fuel so I don't think that could be the issue.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.
I took a longer log and cut to the beginning of this little lean spike..
Let me know if you require any additional information... and thanks again for catching that map sensor issue....
Attachments
GSCT1_Hondata_Josh_LEAN_takeoff.s3d
(779.58 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
GSCT1_Hondata_Josh.skl
(41.05 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Is the turbo operating normally...is it fully hooked up?
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

Hey, Sorry for the delay Spunkster... I currently do not have the compressor housing installed. Been trying to get all the bugs and issues worked out. I use the car primarily for wet / cold weather driving and need reliability. So I've focused on fixing electrical issues (new rywire harness) I know this may affect tuning somewhat but assumed once part throttle is dialed in it would help and save dyno time focusing solely on WOT with the turbo.
What I do not understand is that for 2-3 days I tune and get close to a great street tune... I'll expand map resolution from 16-0psi vacuum ... Then this weird lean issue appears. I've re-done 3 maps noticing this each time. Now this could solely be coincidental but wanted your opinion on it also..
- Could my map be getting corrupted?

Would a faulty TPS sensor cause this? My tps is ancient (original equipment) and could explain the inconsistency?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should not tune or drive the car with part of the turbo removed as this will damage the turbo. This will also affect how it is running. Wait to tune and drive this until all parts are ready and it can be properly tuned on the dyno.
simjosh

Post by simjosh »

That's my point though... it gets professionally tuned. Yet something always gets wacky with first gear down low.
Rinse / repeat tune from scratch - perfect for 2-3 weeks - happens again (first gear initial tip lean)
I'll put my headers back on tomorrow so I won't "damage" the turbine housing and re-log.