Hondata s300 connection issues.

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
outsidematt

Hondata s300 connection issues.

Post by outsidematt »

Hi all.
I have recently purchased a pre socketed Hondata s300 from H-TUNE. My S Manger says my driver is installed and that i am online. My My wiring loom setup up is a OBd1 loom that connects into a OBD2B convertor. I have checked the connection and have power and grounds to the plug end of converter. Car will run fine on old ecu.
I am unable to upload/download any information. Unable to data log too. What am i a missing? or is this any ECU issue.
I have loaded latest software and also registered it.

I know these questions are asked time and time again. Have read many posts regarding seemlier issues but as yet not found a cure.

Any ideas would be great to help . Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Hondata s300 connection issues.

Post by Spunkster »

Was the ECU tested by whoever socketed?

What vehicle is this in?
outsidematt

Post by outsidematt »

Hi.

In answer to your first question. I dont know. I would like to think so. The complete unit was supplied via H-tune. I would say it has been professionally done as covers have been resprayed and they have there sticker on it to. ( i appreciate this has no effect on whether it was tested). The only thing that really was bad of the company is that it came in a box with no protection around the ecu.! Literally rattle around the bottom of a box!

As for your second question. The car it is in is a peugeot. The engine is a honda b16b running a obd1 loom and has a the honda type r clustor. everything is standard and all the dials work on the cluster.

When the my laptop is plug in she runs, idles about 800rpm. As soon as i take usb out the engine revs up to 2000 rpm and engine warning light turns on.

The car also has a sequential flat shift gearbox with its own ecu. At the moment the gearbox ecu interrupts the power to the ignition coil when changing gear. The plan is to do away with this and send the power cut via the s300 ecu. ( I thought i would mention this as i have yet to remove the above setup) as i thought it would have no effect on lap top connecting to S300 ecu

Also not sure if it is a clue. I downloaded the hondata app. When laptop is plug in to s300 the app can connects to ecu. when i try to use app is saying ignition is off. When Ignition is on.

I have checked two power feeds and the two grounds.

Its a shame the ecu was not bubble wrapped when i got it. I know they are fairly hardy units but in the back of my mind it makes me wonder if something broke on route.

Matthew
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Do not use it until you resolve whatever is causing it to only work with the USB connected as it sounds like it is grounding through the USB. You could try the ECU in a known working vehicle and if it works as it should then you know you have a wiring issue to resolve.
outsidematt

Post by outsidematt »

Will have a look . dont think it is my loom as old ecu works fine. Something is a miss. when s300 ecu is plug in with ignition on my (IACV) starts to hum. Personnelly i think there is and issue with ecu. The real test will trying it on a different vehicle ( if i can even fine on). Its a shame service back from some of these dealers is terrible if you have an issue.
For any new be buyers i would advise buying from a company that can 1 talk over the phone and two have facility to test a ecu if there is a problem
. My biggest issue is if it get drag out and there is an issue with the ecu i hope i can have and exchange before any warranty runs out.
outsidematt

Post by outsidematt »

Finally i have got it fixed. In the end a replacement s300 board was sent and it then all worked fine.
brausepaul15

Post by brausepaul15 »

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue with my s300 in an HTune ECU.
I also sent the ECU back to HTune, where they tried to solve the problem by installing the S300 in another P28 ECU which unfortunately did not solve the problem. Beside my race car I also tried it in a stock OBD1 Prelude and also tried with different laptops and different Windows versions.
So finally I think there is only the S300 itself left. So what to do next?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial number that is on the s300 board inside the ECU?
brausepaul15

Post by brausepaul15 »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:21 pm What is the serial number that is on the s300 board inside the ECU?
S300
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This S300 was sold 2018, so you may want to discuss this with who you purchased this from as they are not an authorized Hondata dealer.
brausepaul15

Post by brausepaul15 »

Spunkster wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:57 am This S300 was sold 2018, so you may want to discuss this with who you purchased this from as they are not an authorized Hondata dealer.
I received the ECU with the S300 installed in December 2018 and contacted H-Tune in early 2019. In May I they installed the S300 in another ECU and sent it back to me.
In November 2019 H-Tune wrote that they will contact their USA supplier (not Hondata itself), a few weeks later they closed down... :-(
Do you know who this dealer is?

So, as you could imagine, I'm not happy to have this ECU including the S300 and also a CPR kit here and all of that still unused.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It was originally sold to PerformanceTek. You may want to discuss this with them.

PerformanceTek
Unit 8 Swanston St. Industrial Estate, 392 Swanston St.
Glasgow G404HW Scotland
gerry@performancetek.co.uk
www.performancetek.co.uk
brausepaul15

Post by brausepaul15 »

Thank you, I will contact them
brausepaul15

Post by brausepaul15 »

Gerry investigated the ECU and the S300 with the result that it appears to be a problem with the ECU (which Htune already changed once).
The ECU is now on its way back to me. What to do now? I could buy a used OBD1 ECU and install the S300. If this still won't work, is Gerry still the person to contact with this issue?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should contact Htune about the ECU if they are the ones that did the socketing and provided it. PerformanceTek should be able to socket a replacement ECU for you.