Found a dyno but owner want to drive my car.

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Corn_fed94

Found a dyno but owner want to drive my car.

Post by Corn_fed94 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36 am

I recently found a dyno in my town to rent but the problem is that the owner wont let me drive my own car while he operates they dyno. Little more info on my situation. I live in a somewhat rural area with not too many options for a tuner or dyno's near me, and to boot, absolutely nobody within 2-3hrs of me that tunes on Hondata. Now I've been taking a courses on EPA for the last 2 years or so, basically since his academy has been up and operating, so I feel like i'm ready to do my own tune and I'm tuning on e85 so my window for knock is far greater than regular petrol. So I get there get my car onto the dyno and then he breaks the news to me, he wants me to sit in the passenger side of the car while he drives my car on the dyno.....some of you may not have a problem with that but I do. Was it my fault for assuming I was going to operate my own car or his mistake for not mentioning that he will operate the car and the dyno? This thing has been my baby for the last 3 years with a lot of money, to me, and time invested into the car. He is a Pro Cobb tuner and I'm sure he knows what a lean A/F is when he sees one but I don't know how he is going to react to it. I don't know if he is going to let off or abort the pull so I can add more fuel then the run can be re-attemped or just continue with the pull to redline. There is just too many variables for two people to control simultaneously to tune it safely IMO. Sure I could set a lean A/F protection in boost but I'd just rather do it myself rather than hitting a protection setting. So after my reluctance he asked if that was going to be a problem...of course it is but I didn't want to argue with the guy since I was already strapped to his dyno. So after I sync'd timing at 16 degrees we noticed an oil leak from the front main so I rescheduled the appt. Blessing in disguise? Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this.

crluver123

Re: Found a dyno but owner want to drive my car.

Post by crluver123 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm

It's your fault for assuming you would be allowed to drive your own car on the dyno. No dyno owner would EVER let a stranger operate a vehicle on their dyno. It doesn't matter what your education is. It doesn't matter how good you think you are at tuning. The only exceptions are World renowned tuners, and close friends of the dyno owner.

Think of it this way; if you owned a $100k car, would you let a random stranger drive it? I very highly doubt it.

Corn_fed94

Re: Found a dyno but owner want to drive my car.

Post by Corn_fed94 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 am

crluver123 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm
It's your fault for assuming you would be allowed to drive your own car on the dyno. No dyno owner would EVER let a stranger operate a vehicle on their dyno.
Yea, in hindsight I realized it would be a giant leap to trust a stranger to drive on your $30,000 dyno and possibly damaging the dyno and/or the car. Also, his liability insurance probably wouldn't cover it. I recently had a private message from a shop owner who explained a lot of this to me and helped me understand. I shouldn't have assumed or been so entitled. I also need to set up a plan for us to follow for the tune. Going to do some street tuning before going back to the dyno for WOT pulls.