S300 distributor replacement question

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
brynaninja

S300 distributor replacement question

Post by brynaninja »

So I have an S300 running on a 90 Prelude, the distributor is on it's way out, do I have to do anything special when I install the new one? Obviously time it with a timing light but how does that interact with the S300? Do I just it properly to TDC #1 on the flywheel and all is good? I know the program on the car is running advanced timing. Do I need to set the distributor to whatever advanced as well???
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: S300 distributor replacement question

Post by Spunkster »

You need to go into the online menu and click on set timing and it will allow you to lock the timing to set it with a timing light.
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

So you set that to 0 BTDC or just TDC, in the Smanager with the car online and running. Then turn the distributor to match your timing light flashes at the TDC mark on your flywheel?

Where do you set the distributor for initial startup? just anywhere? I am installing a new style distributor from a different car so it will be a different shape and setting it to the position of the old one might be wrong......?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Set the software to the timing that is recommended in the factory service manual, then use a timing light to get the distributor to match that.

http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/se ... set+timing
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

ok so starting it up with the new distributor in whatever random position until I get the light going isnt going to cause any problems? The distributor only times about 10deg I think? This wouldnt cause any damage to the motor you think?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No it will not damage it in the short time it takes to adjust it properly.
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

So I’ve done this all. The car runs. But when I froze the timing on Smanager it freezes it at 16BTDC, but when I’m adjusting my distributor I cant get it turned to the 15deg mark on my flywheel. Just the TDC mark. So I adjusted the Smanager to freeze at 0BTDC and set the timing light to TDC mark on the flywheel. Is this correct?
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

It isnt an adjustable timing light, its just the old plain jane that has no options or features.
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

can you set Hondata to read 0deg in the set timing drop down menu, set your dist. and timing light (non-dial back) to 0deg-TDC on the flywheel, lock it in. And then run the motor and check the timing on the flywheel with the light to see if it matches what hondata is saying in my sensor list? Like if my hondata timing adv sensor is reading 15BDTC it should flash at 15BTDC on my flywheel after everything is set.
brynaninja

Post by brynaninja »

Ok got it fixed to 15deg mark on flywheel and Hondata. All good there. But now I’m noticing some lean conditions on my wideband..?? How will changing the dist affect the tuning? I assume my hondata tuner adjusted the old dist the same way.......
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Changing the timing should not cause it to really lean out.