IAT Sensor getting heat soaked

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
TheLawProject

IAT Sensor getting heat soaked

Post by TheLawProject »

Good morning,

On my b20vtec setup I am running the stock GSR intake manifold which has the IAT sensor located on the top of the intake manifold. My concern is, that once the car is warmed up, the IM gets heat soaked and my IAT’s are in the 120-135* range which isnt accurate, considering the outside temp is only 80*. My logs show that there is some sort of IAT Temp correction taking place once this happens. I assume some timing is being pulled along with fuel?

Is the solution to relocate it to the intake tube?

Thanks
DaX

Re: IAT Sensor getting heat soaked

Post by DaX »

I have seen people relocate the IAT sensor to a pre-throttle location as you've suggested. I've also heard of people using an S2000 IAT sensor (supposedly more responsive). I've also heard of people cutting the plastic off the OEM sensor to expose the junction. I'm not sure what works best though, or if any of these are actually advisable. I'm just running mine in the stock location of the intake manifold as well, and letting it make compensations as required.

The purpose of the IAT sensor is to tell the ECU what the temperature is of the air entering the cylinders, not what the ambient air temperature is.
Even if the air temperature is 80F, the air is hotter than that by the time it goes into the cylinders, especially if you are using some kind of forced induction (remember that PV=nRT). Heat soaked intake manifolds also heat up the air inside them.

Regarding compensations, it all depends on how your calibration is set. Besides fuel and ignition, IATs can also impact closed vs. open loop and boost controller duty cycle.