98 Civic D16y8

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
BH_Turbo

98 Civic D16y8

Post by BH_Turbo »

Hello,
Being new to the forum and Hondata I wanted to say hello.
I am running a 98 Civic, D16Y8, stock internals, Turbonetics T3, map bypass and a FMU. Needless to say, FMU's suck so my turbo install has never been complete and for some reason I think my map bypass is screwed since for the last week my ecu has been going into limp mode which requires resetting the ecu. Being 35, I have no patience with this and have parts on the way as of last Friday. My soon to be tuner made his request to get me started out. S300, obd1 conversion harness, rc550 injectors w/clips, 3 bar map sensor and a AEM fuel pressure regulator. I have a friend that sells used parts and is working on a virgin p28, I can't see spending $100+ on a ecu.
So, with the parts on the way, me dealing with a limp ecu, does anyone have some helpful hints or things to look for so that this install/tune goes well? Its being tuned at RWTD in Mobile, closest tuner with a dyno that I could find not to mention I have heard good things about the shop. Will I need any other ecu parts than what is supplied with the S300 unit? Any idea of what kind of dyno time it should take to tune a S300? Any information/advise is greatly appreciated.
pilotboy

Post by pilotboy »

Hello, you will get everything you need in you s300 kit to socket your P28 ECU. If you haven?t soldered much you might want to find some one to socket your ECU for you. I just did my P28 ECU last week, it took me about 2.5 hours to complete but I had all the right tools. Check out this link it will help if you decide to socket your ECU your self. http://www.hondata.net/forum/viewtopic. ... =r54#10113
BH_Turbo

Post by BH_Turbo »

Thanks for the reply! The link you provided was awesome, hats off to the creator! I'm a network engineer by trade, not an electrical engineer without a doubt. I don't think this is the project for me to learn on nor do I have the correct tools. My tuner says that he can deal with it no problem and I also have a friend that is local and he is anal about his work like me so I do have an out. I have had to park my car for the last few days, ecu is going limp and I pretty much could care less, I have the parts to fix my problem on the way. I would rather install the parts myself but the trick here is that I have to drive it 70 miles to have it tuned and dynoed. Going from stock everything, map bypass and FMU, to obd1 ecu, hondata, fuel regulator and some rc 550's. I would hate to end up with a car trailored to mobile instead of driving it, could save a couple hundred bucks though! I have downloaded the s-manager to have a look and there are quite a few tabs with settings that I would rather have explained instead of just making an educated guess, that's a long 70 miles, lol.

Once again, I do apprecaite the reply,
Turbo

If you would like to see the turbo install I have a link in my profile.
Jaker

Post by Jaker »

Drive the car to Mobile with your OBD2 ECU, without going into boost, then install your P28 ECU/S300 and injectors when you get there.
pilotboy

Post by pilotboy »

I installed everything turbo, injectors, ECU, s300 then took my car to get it dynoed. The smanager comes with a base program for different types of Honda ECU's that you upload before you start your car. If you are using a P28 just upload the p28 base program before you start your car. Your car should run good enough to get you where you need to go. Just don?t boost, drive very easy and you should be fine.