Hondata S300 Nightmare (Updated--Nightmare no more)

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
RMS

Post by RMS »

first, the iab fix recommended by carchitech is the best fix, though trying to explain it has ended up with dozens of questions for me in the past.

EFI University IS NOT SOME HOLY GRAIL OF TRAINING FOR TUNERS. simply attending their class does not make you an expert in tuning various different tuning softwares. it is a good reference/starting point, only.

if you aren't specifically trained in hondata, aem, haltech, etc. then you've bumped your head if you think stating that you have EFI U training means a damned thing to the developers of that software.

every software has bugs, and rarely does anyone want to take responsibility for failures: not the car owners, not the tuners, and not the software/hardware developers.
RaVer Motorsports (559) 733-4711
ravermotorsports@earthlink.net
Aman

Post by Aman »

RMS and carchitech
I have a few questions.
1. The modifications carchitech is suggesting is not on the obd1>obd2 wire harness is it? It is actual modifications to the cars wire harness, right?
2. Is it a possibility to change out the '99 solenoid to an obd1 '94 solenoid?
3. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram that shows my '99 and a '94 so I can better understand this issue myself.

Thanks for all the help.
RMS

Post by RMS »

the solenoid is the same, just the wiring is different. the other reason i rarely suggest modifying the engine harness is that then you can't just pnp the stock ecu anymore.

obdI
one side of the iab sol wiring goes to ign pwr
the other side goes to the ecu where it is activated by a ground signal
from the ecu (low side switch).

obdII 'teg
one side of the iab sol wiring goes to engine ground
the other side goes to the ecu where it is activated by a 12 volt signal (high
side switch).
Aman

Post by Aman »

Just thought I'd ask. I'm a mechanical guy, all this electrical stuff is a bit challenging at times for me to understand.
Status update, I finally got in touch with my tuner, he is back from Italy. I had asked him to read over this posting. Last night he added the relay and it works on his test bench. I hope this week I finally get the car back into the shop and get it finished on the dyno. I will try to keep the post updated once the tuning is completed.
Also after talking to my tuner he mentioned that in 1999 is when Honda changed the signal for that IAB relay. It looks like my car got caught on the wrong side of that change.
RMS

Post by RMS »

to clarify: 1996 was the changeover for iab.
a29virgo

Post by a29virgo »

RMS wrote:the solenoid is the same, just the wiring is different. the other reason i rarely suggest modifying the engine harness is that then you can't just pnp the stock ecu anymore.

obdI
one side of the iab sol wiring goes to ign pwr
the other side goes to the ecu where it is activated by a ground signal
from the ecu (low side switch).

obdII 'teg
one side of the iab sol wiring goes to engine ground
the other side goes to the ecu where it is activated by a 12 volt signal (high
side switch).
Hi RMS, i'm driving a 96 ek hatch with OBD2a harness. i'm facing the same problem as Aman. i experience loss of power when ever i shift gear and it will drop to 4500 - 5000. After which the rpm will climb steadily. I using a P28 S300 with an OBD2 > OBD1 wire harness. i have cut the A17 iab control of my adapter harness and connect it with a relay but the problem remain. Please advise me. A million thanks
RMS

Post by RMS »

post your skl file and a datalog with the engine exibiting the problem. it would be great if you have a wideband o2 that can be dl'd, too. post it here or feel free to email it to me directly.
Aman

Tuning Finally Complete

Post by Aman »

My tuner finally returned from Italy and got in touch with me. I had him read over this post and he then knew exactly what going on. He added the relay into the wire harness for me. Then finally after 3 months I got the cars tuning finished.
171hp/128tq peak values relatively flat torque curve and a very very strong mid range. VTEC is at 5000 and the IAB open at 5200, still stock red line. The starting values where 163 and 121. So I am very happy now.
The next phase of my build up includes a bored out stock TB, 64mm tapered, GSR ported intake manifold and a high flow cat. Power goals from these mods, 178~180hp and 135tq. My tuner and I figure that the mid and low end toque will see very nice improvements from these mods. I am not so worried about the peak numbers but they are the easiest for people to reference.
Also does anyone know how to manipulate the data from Dynojet dyno? The WINPEP7 software does not allow for changes. My car was tuned on two different DynoJet dyno the second had a faulty atmospheric pressure sensor so all the data values are shifted. I know that values are good want to fix those graphs.