Decel stalling

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
SpadeMotorsports

Decel stalling

Post by SpadeMotorsports »

Is there anything dealing with the ECU or software that would cause this?
While cruising, depress clutch and shift to neutral. RPM's drop below 500 and it dies. This does not happen all the time. Minimum idle is set at 1000, along with temps. I have adjusted IACV with no help.

Thanks.
Djbower1

Post by Djbower1 »

Quoted from Hondata Help file.

IAC duty cycle - adjusts the feedback relationship between the current engine speed, target idle speed and idle valve duty cycle. If the idle dips low once the throttle is released, increase the IAC duty cycle. If the idle speed 'hangs', reduce the IAC duty cycle.

Have you done this?
SpadeMotorsports

Yeah, I have adjusted it both ways and the same problem occurs. The fact that it happens randomly confuses me. I assumed that there was a "rolling idle", which is higher than a "still idle". It seems as if my car immediately drops to my normal idle as soon as it is out of gear. I may be wrong though. Is there a specific procedure that peole use to setup IACV and the idle screw?

Thanks for reply, anything helps.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Give all the details of this car, year, make model...etc and all things that have been done to it.
SpadeMotorsports

99 EX with a 00 B18C.
Motor is sleeved,fully built, and turbo'ed
Victor-X mani
72mm TB
1000cc injectors
FJO P&H injector driver
GM 3 bar map
Exedy twin disk clutch
P28 with S300

Everything has been running great except for idle and hot startup. It goes lean immediately after a hot startup, until I drive. TPS is adjusted correctly. No vacuum leaks found.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I believe that the FJO injector driver could very well be the problem. All you should have is a resistor box wired in per the info at http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html

Try removing the injector driver, installing the resistor box and see if that resolves the problem.
SpadeMotorsports

Thanks for the reply.
Would you care to elaborate on why you think the FJO unit would cause this?

I was able to try a few things tonight...
I increased IACV duty cycle, it seemed to help somewhat. It still dropped to around 350-400 before catching. When this happens, lights go dim as expected. This also increased my idle to around 1200, and I am unable to get it to go any lower.

Also, is there any sugestions on the lean condition after a hot start?

Thanks.
Djbower1

Post by Djbower1 »

Have you tried undoing the air bypass screw on the throttle body?
SpadeMotorsports

Yes, I have pretty much adjusted everything that is adjustable. It is hard to duplicate the problem, but I see it more often after a hard pull. Normal driving, it is sporadic.
jordonking

Post by jordonking »

bump to see if you ever fixed problem. I'm having similar problem with my setup. Give a little thottle then release goes down almost dies then idles back up.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The first step should be to set the idle per the Helm's manual. THis involves getting the car to operationg temp, then disconnecting the idle air controller and adjusting the idle to around 500 rpm usign the air bypass screw. You should follow the Helms though for yoru specific application.
jordonking

Post by jordonking »

That makes sense. I'll ck it out later, but I'm having to wait on a cooling fan switch. Not working properly. By the way thanks for all the quik replys Spunkster. I hope Hondata pays you well.
crucian

Post by crucian »

jordonking wrote:That makes sense. I'll ck it out later, but I'm having to wait on a cooling fan switch. Not working properly. By the way thanks for all the quik replys Spunkster. I hope Hondata pays you well.
Try adding some fuel in the first 2 or 3 columns. Your injectors probably shut all the way off when you let up off the pedal. Just try it and see what happens. I remember when my car would shut off all the time and that's what I did.
kaj

Post by kaj »

SpadeMotorsports wrote: It goes lean immediately after a hot startup, until I drive.
mine does the same thing.
jordonking

Post by jordonking »

One of my vacuum caps popped off was the main problem, and I've added a little more fuel to first few columns. It's almost completely gone now, but I was wondering if using 550cc injectors would have any affect on this. I'm N/A right now (h22a). Plan on boosting.

I'm finally doing some full thottle tuning, and man I'm very happy with results. I'm just seat of the pants tuning with wideband, and once VTEC engages it's over. I actually lowered compression to 9.2:1 and I had the f22b2 in car previously which has 9:1cr so I figured it wouldn't be much faster, but I'm very pleased with results. I don't even know if VTEC was functional on my other motor. I took 3 of my friends riding in it yesterday 1 has an 03 mustang with cams and it's geared, another has an old s10 with a 350 in it and both were very suprised. I love watching their faces when VTEC hits :D . Can't wait to boost it.