Major Hiccups w/s300.

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
siadam

Major Hiccups w/s300.

Post by siadam »

Car has been tuned by SlowMotion in Columbus, Oh. Specs in sig.

Car has had no issues up to this point. Virgin p28 chipped for s300.

A few days ago while I was datalogging the iat's for the car hiccuped. I had just pulled out onto the road, partial throttle, no boost and the car went lean on the wideband, to the point of saying "lean" not even registering a number and the check engine light came on...wouldn't even move...gave it throttle..nothing...stuttered bad....so I turned it off real quick, fired it back up...fine..light was gone..drove like normal...I chaulked it up to some bug....and drove on....

Well yesterday I was out cruising and pulled onto the main drag again and sure enough...hiccup, hiccup...check engine light..same thing..partial throttle..no boost...just easing up to speed..40mph or so...

I turned it off, fired it up, fine...no datalogging or anything...everything seems fine...so that had me thinking....figured I would look into it later..

Well last night I met up w/a few buddies, hung out chatted/etc. I was on my way home around 10:30, nice cool evening for a change, 50-60 degrees, figured I would turn the boost up from a 10lbs to 13-15....slowed down to 40mph..punched it...took off...finished out 2nd quickly, hit 3rd and midway through 3rd...stutter POP...check engine light...was like hitting a wall....well..that was a short run, figured I just said peace out to my motor...I put it in neutral and listened for any signs of engine failure...sounded fine...went to go and nothing..engine was off... wtf? So I turned the key off, fired it back up expecting to hear it knock or not even start...fired up fine, like nothing happened...engine light off again..

Drove it the next mile or so home..cooled it off, pulled in the garage and drove the beater today...

Any ideas?

I can't feel safe that it's not hurting the motor, even if ever so slightly..

It almost feels like the injectors are just cutting fuel, via the ecu of coure...so I don't know....

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

8)
Built, NOT Bought.
^^clicky.for.more.info^^
TurboGSR96

Post by TurboGSR96 »

Could be your IAT sensor, mine went a little crazy before it died and I was reading -40 sometimes and sometimes it would be normal.
585whp/385tq @ 21-23psi E85 Ethanol
OEM GSR Cams & Ignition
siadam

Post by siadam »

TurboGSR96 wrote:Could be your IAT sensor, mine went a little crazy before it died and I was reading -40 sometimes and sometimes it would be normal.
That would casue the car to just up and die out of the blue?

8)
Built, NOT Bought.
^^clicky.for.more.info^^
TurboGSR96

Post by TurboGSR96 »

No but a huge fluctuation in the sensor could cause the S300 to add/remove fuel because of the IAT corrections.... it was a long shot.
585whp/385tq @ 21-23psi E85 Ethanol
OEM GSR Cams & Ignition
Djbower1

Post by Djbower1 »

check all your boost/vacuum pipes. Check the map sensor and see if there's a split in the pipe and also the wiring of the sensor.

My mate had a similar problem and it was cutting out like your because the map sensor was giving the ecu false reading.

Dan
siadam

Post by siadam »

Happened 3 more times within a 30 min period. Then drove it home..nothing....same time span...

I am going to take a look into it after work this evening....

8)
Built, NOT Bought.
^^clicky.for.more.info^^
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This sounds like it could be either a loose wire or bad soldering on the ecu. Who did the socketing on the ecu?
siadam

Post by siadam »

Spunkster wrote:This sounds like it could be either a loose wire or bad soldering on the ecu. Who did the socketing on the ecu?
Checked it over tonight, no loose wires, shorts, or grounds. However I pulled the ecu apart, looked it over and it appears the connectors where the harness plugs into it, a few look brittle and melted...??

Not all the way through, regardless they don't look healthy...??

What could cause this?

8)
Built, NOT Bought.
^^clicky.for.more.info^^
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The ecu has been damaged by water and has corroded...I would suggest usign a new ECU and sending it to Hondata to be properly socketed. We have found that about 99% of all s300 problems are caused by bad socketing jobs.
siadam

Post by siadam »

Spunkster wrote:The ecu has been damaged by water and has corroded...I would suggest usign a new ECU and sending it to Hondata to be properly socketed. We have found that about 99% of all s300 problems are caused by bad socketing jobs.
I fell into this 99%.

Now fixed.

8)
Built, NOT Bought.
^^clicky.for.more.info^^