when I set ign timing, to get to 16* dizy is all the way adv

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
brokenojoke

when I set ign timing, to get to 16* dizy is all the way adv

Post by brokenojoke »

Motor is na B16a and when using S300's set ignition timing tool, I have to max out the adjustment all the way advanced on the distributor to get it to reach 16*

I searched but couldn't find anything very informative....

Here are the steps I did.

1.) let car warm up 180 water 180 oil

2.) I did NOT jump the jumper I usually do to set ignition timing

3.) In the Smanager software I clicked online, and then set ignition timing

4.) The window popped up stating that timing was fixed at 16*

5.) Adjusted the distributor untill the pointer on the timing belt cover was pointing at the middle mark of the three. (16* mark according to helms)

Just seems a little strange to have to crank it that far..... What have you guys experienced?

The car seems to idle better, and feels good all the way to redline. Pulled plugs to check for signs of detonation, and didn't see any. If I left out any info that would be useful, please ask.

Thanks in advance.
locash

Post by locash »

Do you have adjustable cam gears on this vehicle? Has the cylinder head or block ever been milled?
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
In-Shop CNC Machining and Product Manufacturing
brokenojoke

setting ignition timing

Post by brokenojoke »

Yes, I do have adjustable cam gears, but they are set to zero.

No, neither the head or deck has ever been milled. Head gasket is stock honda 3 layer.

Car also has IACV bypassed from intake mani, but it's still plugged into ecu to avoid code. So the car idles at 1,500. If I understand the "set timing" feature correctly though, it takes any advance from the map out so it shouldn't matter.......
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What cams are you using?
brokenojoke

Timing issue

Post by brokenojoke »

Civic Type R
V-Spec race development

Re: setting ignition timing

Post by V-Spec race development »

brokenojoke wrote:Yes, I do have adjustable cam gears, but they are set to zero.

No, neither the head or deck has ever been milled. Head gasket is stock honda 3 layer.

Car also has IACV bypassed from intake mani, but it's still plugged into ecu to avoid code. So the car idles at 1,500. If I understand the "set timing" feature correctly though, it takes any advance from the map out so it shouldn't matter.......
You're timing could be off a tooth on the timing belt. check your crank and cam timing.
brokenojoke

Re: setting ignition timing

Post by brokenojoke »

V-Spec race development wrote:You're timing could be off a tooth on the timing belt. check your crank and cam timing.

I checked multiple times and it shows to be dead on.

As a side note, when I set timing the helms way using the service jumper, it times just about exactly as it did before near the middle of the adjustment available in the distributor. Then I tried to use hondata again and it wants it advanced all the way.

I compared the two to eachother, and it's exactly 16* off.
After setting timing the helms way, when checking it with the hondata "set timing" feature, it strobes to show the TDC mark even with the mark on timing belt cover.... not the 16* mark.

I was told by tuners that I was supposed to be aiming for the 16* mark (the middle of the 3) on the crank when using the "set timing feature with S300. So either they were wrong, or the hondata is telling me wrong timing, or I"m an idiot. I'm going with the ladder of the 3. What do you guys think?
japerformance

Post by japerformance »

is it an original distributor as there are alot of ddgy ones going about. your right it is strange but at the end of the day you could set your distributor to the middle and if the ecu says its 20 and it is actually 15 then you can just put 25 in the ecu , the ecu wont care.

as long as it runs right doesnt matter what number is in the cell but if you want things perfect then leave it at the setting for the distributor so 16 is 16 thats why you have the adjustment and although the cam gear is set to 0 on its mark it can still be slightly out causing your situationbut not to worry if 16 is 16 then its perfect.
japerformance

Post by japerformance »

the hondata could be picking up the trigger on the falling rather than rising signal or vise versa
planetspeed

Post by planetspeed »

japerformance wrote:the hondata could be picking up the trigger on the falling rather than rising signal or vise versa
So does that mean the ecu is not reading true 16deg?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Inductive distributor pickup waveforms don't have a rising or falling edge - they have a transition, which always occurs in the middle of the tooth. In any case, the pulse detection is carried out by ECU hardware - not the calibration.

Check the cam timing using a rod on the piston to find TDC and 6mm (5mm?) pins in the cams.
Hondata
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

Hondata wrote:Inductive distributor pickup waveforms don't have a rising or falling edge - they have a transition, which always occurs in the middle of the tooth. In any case, the pulse detection is carried out by ECU hardware - not the calibration.

Check the cam timing using a rod on the piston to find TDC and 6mm (5mm?) pins in the cams.
I think it's a 5mm rod.