input shaft rpm?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
turbotypeR

input shaft rpm?

Post by turbotypeR »

I was just wondering if it is possible to configure a input shaft speed sensor to one of the analog inputs?
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No that's not possible
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

thanks1that is what i thought. is it possible to make it work some other way
92 civic Si
low99si

Post by low99si »

Wouldnt that just be be twice your engine rpms?
boostedcivicsir

Post by boostedcivicsir »

low99si wrote:Wouldnt that just be be twice your engine rpms?
have to figure clutch slippage also.
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

it should be the same rpm as the engine with the clutch engauged. the point of being able to read it would be to log clutch slip
92 civic Si
cranny

Post by cranny »

took the words right out of my mouth , if you want a gauge to read the input or properly called mainshaft speed in RPM. you already do. its called a tachometer. when you have your clutch out , the mainshaft spins the exact same as the engine as it is directly connected to it. regarless of what speed or gear your in.
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

cranny wrote:took the words right out of my mouth , if you want a gauge to read the input or properly called mainshaft speed in RPM. you already do. its called a tachometer. when you have your clutch out , the mainshaft spins the exact same as the engine as it is directly connected to it. regarless of what speed or gear your in.
you guys don't seem to understand. sure, it is the same as the eingine rpm when the clutch is engauged. but if you want to be able to log and make sure the clutch is not slipping, you would need a sensor on the mainshaft to make sure it were the same as the engine rpm
92 civic Si
cranny

Post by cranny »

im sure you can tell when your car revs but aint pulling , lol.

why would you need to measure such a thing? put a clutch in the car you know for sure can handle what you are doing , and forget about it. unless first stated problem occurs , lol.
low99si

Post by low99si »

your rpms are read off the cam rotation and your crank shaft is turning twice for every one turn of the cam so if your input shaft is turning with your crank when the clutch is engaged then it would be 2x what your tach. is reading.
cranny

Post by cranny »

WRONG , and the fact you think that , worrys me , lol.
GTMcoupe

Post by GTMcoupe »

turbotypeR

One way i can think of doing it with exsiting datalogs, will take a little work in excel.

export your datalog as a csv, open it in excel, and work out where you gear changes are, pos when inj timing is 0 prehaps? then you know your tire size/gear ratios back engineer the mph signal to rpm, then plot actual engine rpm, against vss derived rpm, and any noticable differances in gradient of the graphs would indicate slipage. Just a posible a way I thought of doing it, it may work it may not, might have a try myself this evening on one of my best and worst launches see if it works,

WEST
Its Small, Its Red, Its Mid engined, It has a B18 fitted, 250hp+per tonne + nitrous
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

cranny wrote:im sure you can tell when your car revs but aint pulling , lol.

why would you need to measure such a thing? put a clutch in the car you know for sure can handle what you are doing , and forget about it. unless first stated problem occurs , lol.
when a fwd car makes this much power, it is hard to tell when the clutch is slipping.it would be a useful tool when datalogging a run. if it was right there on a datalog in front of your face, it could save lots of troubleshooting. sometimes, you can't tell if itis tire spin or not. it would be nice to know by looking at the log that it wasn't clutch slip.
not to mention i work for a clutch manufacturer and as we use my car for r&d, it would be a very usefull tool.
92 civic Si
cranny

Post by cranny »

do you have a nose that works? it is not hard to tell when your clutch is slipping , you can smell it plain as day. but it would definitely be a good R&D tool i agree. you could probably gear something up using rotation sensors , such as crank or cam sensor. all you would need is one , a sensor to count the mainshafts rotation , and you already have RPM so. if the mainshaft isnt turning as much as the engine than , youl know your slipping.
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

cranny wrote:do you have a nose that works? it is not hard to tell when your clutch is slipping , you can smell it plain as day. but it would definitely be a good R&D tool i agree. you could probably gear something up using rotation sensors , such as crank or cam sensor. all you would need is one , a sensor to count the mainshafts rotation , and you already have RPM so. if the mainshaft isnt turning as much as the engine than , youl know your slipping.
you obviously have no idea of what it is like to compete at this level. the types of materials used in a clutch making this type of power generally could be slipping without you knowing about it, whether it be from smell or whatever. i already have a way to put a sensor on the mainshaft. people do it all of the time with motec, aem, etc. i was mearly asking if there was a way to give the s300 an input that could be measuring it on the datalog. it would be nice to have it on the graph right next to everything else and to look at it after a run to make sure a problem was not starting to pop up. it could mean the difference in winning and loosing a race if you could catch it before it got bad.
92 civic Si