97 USDM Integra Type R

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
masterofphones

97 USDM Integra Type R

Post by masterofphones »

I just had my 97 USDM INTEGRA TYPE R dynoed and tuned. I only pulled 161 hp at the wheels with all my add ons. Does that not sound right to anyone else? I thought stock they got more for a 97 USDM INTEGRA TYPE R. I got something in my exhaust system to clean out but still shouldn't make that much of a difference from 161. Any ideads?

This is with add ons too. Like 310 injectors, dc sport headers 4.2.1.exhaust, skunk2 stage 2 cams, intake, maybe a little more.

Still I know its not a lot to boost hp, but the cams should help a lot.

Is my S300 calibration right or could the ecu be damaged? The shop said the tunes perfect.

Is there something going on with my car to make it get slower horsepower at the wheels? Or am I just paranoid and the stock 97 USDM INTEGRA TYPE R just not have more than 161 hp at wheels like I think?

Please any advice is always appreciated.
keto06

Re: 97 USDM Integra Type R

Post by keto06 »

Id like to see the tune
07 Civic Si Sedan (sold)
17 Civic Si Sedan (daily)
02 RSX Type S (project)
Hit me up for free Hondata Help!
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

As soon as I get a laptop. I will try and upload the tune. I think the dyno is right with 161 whp and the stock ones are supposed 195 at the fly wheel. I believe thats the difference. The flywheel horsepower and what companies claim flywheel horsepower is always higher than at the wheels horsepower. Also when I get the exhaust cleaned out and catilatic conveter off it will be a little better. I cant wait. Hope I can save up for more products from here and a turbo someday.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

The tune in the V-tec kind of acts a little strange to me. It almost doesn't seem like it works until like a minute of starting up. It also does the V-TEC in a slowly smooth acceliration increasing the power of the V-TEC starting at 5600 rpms and really hitting hard at about 6750 rpms. I was told that was a proper tune though and that is how its supposed to be. I kind of wish it just hit hard V-tec as soon as it hit 5600 rpms instead of increasing steadly when it kicks in to hard.

I cant wait to get w laptop. Copy my tune and then maybe try somethings out. At least where the V-TEC kicks in and have fun with that. Kind of need a track for that, but Ill probably try it once without one to see what it does.

Happy Holidays, enjoy your rides pass the knowledge
keto06

Post by keto06 »

While you do lose a bit of hp by measuring whp, you shouldnt lose that much. Especially with mods. If you saw my thread, I made more whp with less mods(GSR, CTR Intake cam, SK2 IM, RMF header w/ race cat), hence why I am interested to see the tune.

Generally yes, most power is made with less of a VTEC (no dash) kick, even if it doesnt "feel" as fun.

If you still have a factory cat, and a restrictive exhaust, that may be part of the reason. Also unless its the type R specific DC Sports header, its probably the restrictive one as well. I am also interested to know if they "dialed in" those cams or if they just left them at 0,0 and tuned from there.
07 Civic Si Sedan (sold)
02 RSX Type S (project)
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

They dialed in the cams the best they could. I didnt know anymore detail then that they were skunk 2 stage 2 cams. I like to see the thread on horsepower difference your talking about. I heard you usually lose about 15% hp by doing it by the wheels. The DC Sport headers Im not sure if they were made for the type R or not, but the piping isnt that big. Yes Im hoping once I take both the factory cat, and a restrictive exhaust off it will be much better. Like I said it needs to be cleaned out too. I have dc sports muffler. I tried to add a picture under the hood maybe you can see the headers. Good to know about how the V-TEC is suppose to kick in properly like that.
keto06

Post by keto06 »

Its not a thread on hp difference, though Im sure you could find stock type R dynos all over the web, but this was my build thread and dyno results.

http://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16050
07 Civic Si Sedan (sold)
02 RSX Type S (project)
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

I have heard of other 97 stock-based integra Type R's pulling only 170 whp. Im not sure the true details of the engines for each year of the usdm itr's. I read somewhere the earlier DC2 ones had less horsepower then older models like at least the 99-2001 models. The earlier ones being about 176 and older ones being 200 not by the wheels though. Also the JDM ones were all 200 or more. Either way Im not happy with the result and work done. Maybe the DC Sports headers are too small and not the right size. I know I need to clear my exhaust pipe will help for sure. I can hear the rattling in it just from the engine running. I need to adjust the fuel cable too. Not sure if that would really make much change. Who knows maybe the tune isnt right, but I took it to a Hondata dealer and dyno technician. They said that nothing is wrong with it. They had to use distributer wires from another honda properly a 99 because mine were bad, but they seem to work fine when on the dyno. I think they might have not been right, as most type r cables are a little different. I havent done any new work. One to any suggestions. Was thinking of uping my fuel injectors to if able to 630 to see if that helps too. I got to deal with another issue to which I think is a cheap cv axel I had installed I got from Advance Auto about 5000 miles back. I dont see the boot broken from the hood, but can feel weird suspension on my passenger side again. Pretty sure I already fixed the wheel bearing already at the same time with a pretty good one and doubt thats it. Also got to fix my ABS modulator because I did a 180 degree turn on accident one a widing turning road that I had no issues with before. Lost most control. Think its more suspension then ABS not working. ABS had not been working since I bought the car. Kind of liked it for front wheel drive type drifting at times, but rather be safer and fix that too. I could always take it out again if I wanted to. I know this car was stolen a long time ago and flooded and then used for parts and rebuilt at the same time. I got it back in July still learning a lot, but dont know why it only got 161 whp besides just the ideas above. Pretty broke these days and hurting bad right now from medical injuries so its a slow process.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Also I notice the V-TEC does not work at all until the oil temp is hot enough. Like 5 minutes after starting. About 25% on gage. Is that normal? My service light comes on at about 8500 rpms too, but I figured that is just acting as a shift light. I still need a laptop to checkout the tune better.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

I tried to adjust the throttle cable the best I could without a wrench was really hard to do with pliers, vice grips, and wrench like pliers. I did mange to make it better and almost were I want it. It seemed faster to me for sure and was idling at around 900 rpm in neutral no gas pressed. I want to fix that better once I buy the right size wrench and adjust the throttle with the throttle screw once I figure I where it is to try and idle around 750 rpms. The V-TEC seemed to hit quicker too. I have no idea though if I reset the idle or even by adjusting the throttle cable messes with my tune at all or ECU. Can anyone tell me? I heard adjusting the throttle by the screw and detaching the IAC and hose to I guess reset and adjust the throttle RPMS that your suppose to reset the ECU. I dont want to mess up my tuned dyno or reset my S300 that is for sure. I also been told before you cany really reset a type R ECU. So maybe that is just other integras. Can anyone weigh in?
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Also think my DC headers might for sure be to small and not the right size for the type R. Which may be causing lower whp.
TTR

Post by TTR »

I assume you have cam gears on your engine and that you degreed the cams in to the specs? The stage 2 skunks are very close valve to valve with stock cam gears so if your tuner advanced the intake and retarded the ex from factory you could very likely have valve to valve or piston to valve clearance issues. I would do a leakdown test on the engine and make sure nothing is wrong mechanically. The stage 2's on a stock engine aren't really a good choice as they need more compression to work to their potential. I have dyno'd a stock GSR motor with bolt ons with stage 2's and it made 185whp and it made 217whp with some higher compression pistons. Vtec will not feel great with no compression. Vtec shouldn't work until the water reaches 150 degrees unless someone changed the setting in the program. Dc header is more than adequate to make at least 225whp as my ls Vtec made 228whp with a DC and it made the widest powerband of any header I have had on it. If you can post a pic of the dyno chart.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Not sure all of what you mean by doing a engine leak down. I have had my valves adjusted and not sure nor do I really think there is anything wrong with position of my pistons. I can ask the person that did my tune and dynoed next time I see them. I listed everything I have and the things that I think could be some of the issues. I think it may just be the high cam that is stage 2 skunk 2 cam. Not sure, Im sure they tuned it right though. I found this article where stock type R's from this year got around 170 whp http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/integra/art3/. Thanks for your input. I need to go figure out what you mean exactly, but think everything with the engine should be fine.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

My V-TEC hits pretty hard once it kicks in.