FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
strider

Hondata stock tune knock

Post by strider »

2007 Civic Si - completely stock
Flashpro version 1.1.5.6
Hondata “Stock tune” calibration
92 octane (Top Tier)

I am seeing knock on the “stock tune” calibration. I loaded the “stock tune” and let it idle for awhile and then shut it down. Then I fired it back up and took it for a drive to do some dataloging. I got 7 knock counts in 16 minutes (6 counts on cylinder two and 1 count on cylinder three). I returned the ECU to stock and did some more logging and didn’t get any knock counts. I have read through the documentation and other peoples posts, but I don’t have a clear picture in my head if this is right. I don’t like to see any knock.

Is this amount of knock ok?

Is it the intent of the tune to have a little knock in order to take advantage of higher octane fuel?

Will the car “learn” from the knock and prevent it from happening again?

Also, how does the S. Trim look?

Thanks for the help.
'98 Civic Hatch | B18C | 85mm 12:1 pistons | Ported head | Skunk2 Stage 2 cams
strider

Post by strider »

Hondata, any comments?
K20Mak

Post by K20Mak »

I have a 09 SI completely stock. Having the similar issue and wanna know if the knocking will go away on its own or if I HAVE to get to tuned? I also wanted to know how bad is it having these knocks?
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

pavement conditions have effect on the knock sensor count, it sometimes give false knock
strider

Re:

Post by strider »

Garrett_si wrote:pavement conditions have effect on the knock sensor count, it sometimes give false knock
I was on smooth roads. In fact, one was a new road. Wish it could be that simple in my case. Even 93 octane didn't stop it. :(

I am a bit disappointed in the stock tune which Hondata provides. Don't get me wrong, they have a great product. Just that I bought this product because they stated "Dyno tuning is not necessary."

Since then I returned it to stock. Maybe someday I'll get around to tuning it.
Jpax

Re: Hondata stock tune knock

Post by Jpax »

strider wrote:2007 Civic Si - completely stock
Flashpro version 1.1.5.6
Hondata “Stock tune” calibration
92 octane (Top Tier)

I am seeing knock on the “stock tune” calibration. I loaded the “stock tune” and let it idle for awhile and then shut it down. Then I fired it back up and took it for a drive to do some dataloging. I got 7 knock counts in 16 minutes (6 counts on cylinder two and 1 count on cylinder three). I returned the ECU to stock and did some more logging and didn’t get any knock counts. I have read through the documentation and other peoples posts, but I don’t have a clear picture in my head if this is right. I don’t like to see any knock.

Is this amount of knock ok?

Is it the intent of the tune to have a little knock in order to take advantage of higher octane fuel?

Will the car “learn” from the knock and prevent it from happening again?

Also, how does the S. Trim look?

Thanks for the help.
i just looked over your datalog and not to talk shit but if you were in my Car - and doing 60 mph, in 6th gear at 2500 rpm and floor it. I would smack you up side your head, because 1 the car can not sustain a load like that without Tuning - also it won't retard the ignition for stupidity. Do not FLOOR the petal of your K20z3 under 3k rpm in 6th gear going so fucking slow it will destroy other parts of your car besides the engine. other then your dumb ass driving at 15min 48secs is your dramatic display of affection to your car. and then again at 15min 57 secs.

anyways the knocks before your brilliant escaped were from being to lean -

between 16:56 and 17 min 11sec you went from 6th gear to 2nd and then floored it from 2nd gear though to 6th gear, getting to 60 mph during that time, no knock was detected and the k level look normal, so looks like just your driving is bad - who cars about your S trim when your driving needs to be handled then get the car to a professional tuner and pay someone to fix your driving bad habbits
strider

Re: Hondata stock tune knock

Post by strider »

Jpax wrote:i just looked over your datalog and not to talk shit but if you were in my Car - and doing 60 mph, in 6th gear at 2500 rpm and floor it. I would smack you up side your head, because 1 the car can not sustain a load like that without Tuning - also it won't retard the ignition for stupidity. Do not FLOOR the petal of your K20z3 under 3k rpm in 6th gear going so fucking slow it will destroy other parts of your car besides the engine. other then your dumb ass driving at 15min 48secs is your dramatic display of affection to your car. and then again at 15min 57 secs.

anyways the knocks before your brilliant escaped were from being to lean -

between 16:56 and 17 min 11sec you went from 6th gear to 2nd and then floored it from 2nd gear though to 6th gear, getting to 60 mph during that time, no knock was detected and the k level look normal, so looks like just your driving is bad - who cars about your S trim when your driving needs to be handled then get the car to a professional tuner and pay someone to fix your driving bad habbits

Ouch, well, thanks for taking a look at the data log. The data log is not normal driving habits. I will get it professionally tuned.