Low vtec point with smaller turbo

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
ajpturbopittsburgh

Low vtec point with smaller turbo

Post by ajpturbopittsburgh »

Currently have a precision 6262 turbo. Vtec point set at 4000 RPM. Seems to work well. In the spring I will be getting a slightly smaller turbo. Currently I make about 5 psi at 4000 RPM. The turbo I will get hopefully will yield me 5 psi at 3000 RPM. I will be doing mostly tuning until the very end but I know it's recommended not to have vtec below 2000 .

But basically, if you are in boost is it better to be on the high cam? With my 6262 large turbo I don't make any boost at 3000 RPM but with the smaller turbo I should be around 5 psi. SO if I'm at 5 psi now and on the high cam at 4000 RPM should I be on the high cam at 3000 if my new turbo yields 5 psi at 3000?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Low vtec point with smaller turbo

Post by Spunkster »

You will need to completely retune with the new turbo as it will have different characteristics. Only dyno tuning will tell you where the VTEC point needs to be with your setup.
ajpturbopittsburgh

Re: Low vtec point with smaller turbo

Post by ajpturbopittsburgh »

Yes a retune goes without saying....I'm looking for general rules of thumb..I plan on doing most of the tuning then finishing on the dyno...I'm asking if one would anticipate a lower vtec point being beneficial if boost could be brought on earlier?...I see that aggressive cams usually require high vtec points while forced induction setups benefit from a lower vtec point...but to what extent?

Most of the turbos people put in these civics are gear toward top end ...I'm going for more of what the oe's do and sizing a turbo to give usable torque at 2k...obviously at the expense of top end power

Thought maybe someone would have tried a 3k vtec or at least tried it with a small turbo

Vit what do u think...I may actually contact you for some consulting if your up for that...I'm not a pro but not a beginner and really don't trust anyone with the car anymore as every time people work or tune it they screw it up and I've been tweaking my own tune for years and it runs well