Weird Issue @ redline

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
MTeegs

Weird Issue @ redline

Post by MTeegs »

I have a strange issue going on with my car. It's happened 3 times so far and it's killed a part of my soul each time.

Here's what happens:

I'll go WOT and shift near redline, and just as I shift, the power will cut instantly. Feels like a speed limiter (governor) or perhaps like the fuel cutting out. For reference, my rev limiter is set to 9k and I start shifting around 8k. Even then, I should be able to bounce off the limiter rather than it cut out like this (I'm not power-shifting when it happens).

Also, when it happens the check engine light will come on and the idle will start fluctuating up and down 1.5-2k RPMs. So, even though I push down on the gas, nothing happens other than the RPMs will continue to go up and down on their own.

After pulling off to the side of the road, I turn off the car, turn it back on and the car returns to normal with the exception of the CEL staying on.

I hooked up the FlashPro to see what the DTC was and there was no code listed. It did acknowledge that there was a DTC/CEL but there was no code actually in the list. The last 2 times it happened I tried to see a code, but same thing--nothing. I don't have a datalog of it yet, since it doesn't happen every time.

The first 2 times this happened it was going 1st to 2nd gear, the most recent was 2nd to 3rd gear.

Perhaps these are plausible?

- battery cable loose and disconnecting momentarily due to the motor movement in between shifts
- injectors maxing out?

Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give :)

Build:

- K20a head / K20z3 block (87x86 bore and stroke)
- Wiseco Drag Cartel Spec Pistons - 87mm 12.4:1
- Flat faced exhaust valves / OEM Intake Valves
- K20a2 Oil Pump
- RDX 410cc Injectors/ Scion TC clips
- DC5R 4th and 5th gear / DC5R Final Drive 5.062
- RRC Intake Manifold (Port Matched to TB)
- Chopped manifold so no coolant passes through
- IPS K2 Mark II Cams
- Supertech springs & retainers
- Custom 3 1/2" Intake
- J37 Throttle Body with TB adapter (70mm)
- Hondata IMG
- Invidia Header
- 3" exhaust
- Tuned on Dynapack by VitViper
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Weird Issue @ redline

Post by Spunkster »

Without a datalog showing it happening it is really hard to guess what it might be. Check all wiring and the 02 sensors to make sure they are not melting wires or shorting out. This could also be an issue with the throttle body.
MTeegs

Re: Weird Issue @ redline

Post by MTeegs »

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to get a datalog of it.

Good point on it possibly being the TB. I used to have the Skunk2 TB and it would sometimes run into a similar erratic idle. It just didn't happen under the same circumstances. With my current setup (about 6k miles on it) I have not run into any idle problems during normal driving load and only these 3 weird instances.

I just stumbled on this thread: https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=17951 and this one: https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=18527

Looks like it may be my issue...