Ignition drops randomly

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
Scuderia

Ignition drops randomly

Post by Scuderia »

I've been having this problem where the ignition timing will drop randomly for a second and then pick up again. Driving it feels like the car is bogging and surging. Not really safe. I had an error code of P0101, which is a bad MAF. Replaced the MAF, cleared the code, and my Strims are runing better than ever, but ignition still drops randomly. No other codes come up, could it be a failing crankshaft position sensor?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Ignition drops randomly

Post by Spunkster »

You will need to post the calibration as well as a datalog showing the issue. Include all modifications done to the engine.
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

Ok I solved it. I followed this DIY by J-Ro on 8thcivic.com ------> https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-hon ... edure.html

My best guess is that my mechanical idle screw got way out of whack over time. When I disconnected the connector, my idle was ocilating from 1500 to 2000 RPM. I followed the DIY and set my mechanical idle to 1100. I didn't check the voltage on the throttle body connector, but the car feels a lot better now. Save it for future reference, or if you're swapping throttle bodies.

Also, my MAF was done. I cleaned it so many times, CRC has a good chunk of my money. Put in the new MAF, runs perfect. Also the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS MAS0302 MAF is a denso unit, but sold for $40.
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

Nope! Not fixed! This is just so random, intermittent Uggghhhhh.....

But now I know it's related to the "Tip in Retard" settings and either the TPS or pedal-TPS. I see some noise from both TPS sensors in the datalog, and if I set the tip in retard to -100% across the board, it goes away. But I would like to know if it's the pedal TPS or the throttle body TPS that's causing this. What sensor does the ECU use for "Tip in Retard"?

Here's my datalog and tune. In the datalog from 4:17 to 4:44 you get see some real good examples of "noise" and ignition retard.

Also, no mods on this car. Just some catch cans for the track, and yes they are sealed.
Attachments
TPSnoise.jpg
TPSnoise.jpg (243.66 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
TPS-Noise.fpdl
(723.4 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
68.fpcal
(19.58 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
devan

Post by devan »

Have you tried flashing back to stock and seeing if the problem goes away?
8th Gen Civic Enthusiast and K Series Connoisseur