Weird knocks in cylinder 3

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the FN2 European Civic Type R
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Weird knocks in cylinder 3

Post by Spunkster »

Try adjusting your valves make sure they are not out of spec.
civicRSA

Post by civicRSA »

Which version of Flashpro manager are you using? There was a problem with knock control on an older version.
sc0rcher

Post by sc0rcher »

Hi civicRSA, I'm using the latest version. 1.1.8.5
Spunkster, I'll bring the car to check. But the car drives good when I switch the knock sensitivity higher.
It will still detect knock in cyl 2 if the ign timing is too high. Therefore I tend to think that the car got no prob.
Idling ok, high cams no prob at all, in fact it never knock in high cams. Only occasional 1 knocks if timing is too advanced.
If car got prob, what is it not showing in the high cams?
sc0rcher

Post by sc0rcher »

sc0rcher wrote:Another thing I was wondering.. WHy the knock sensitivity values in the AFM calibrations and MAP calibrations are different for the same car?
Any answer? Is the knock sensor more sensitive in MAF tune.. so has to set higher value?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

They are 2 completely different methods for tuning an engine, and one may be more prone to knock than the other.
sc0rcher

Post by sc0rcher »

Thank you. I have check my car, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Puzzling to see that a type R can run so badly in stock ecu. Before reflash and after reflash and gg back to stock
is 2 different car. I seriously doubt that the rts is back to stock ecu. But there's nothing i can do but to order a new
ecu. Flashpro is an expensive lesson.
engjoo

Post by engjoo »

sc0rcher wrote:Thank you. I have check my car, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Puzzling to see that a type R can run so badly in stock ecu. Before reflash and after reflash and gg back to stock
is 2 different car. I seriously doubt that the rts is back to stock ecu. But there's nothing i can do but to order a new
ecu. Flashpro is an expensive lesson.
Maybe you can try going back to the Honda dealership to reload the stock map?
sc0rcher

Post by sc0rcher »

Ya... I hope they will do it for me. Cos in my country, dealership is very particular abt all mods that one has made to their car.
They will deny all warranty and push all blames to mods that cause any failures.
civicRSA

Post by civicRSA »

sc0rcher wrote:Ya... I hope they will do it for me. Cos in my country, dealership is very particular abt all mods that one has made to their car.
They will deny all warranty and push all blames to mods that cause any failures.
Why don't you just have the knock control tuned accordingly and save yourself a lot of trouble.
sc0rcher

Post by sc0rcher »

Hi CivicRSA..
Not that i would like to trouble myself, just tat I was wondering why a RTS can caused my car to run so badly as well.
I just wanna find out is it the stock ecu map is so badly done, or my car is seriously problematic.
When i drove my car after RTS, it is definitely don feel like a 200bhp car.. more like a hundred the most..
Somemore I had race header on... Or is my race header causing the noise when the engine tot is knock??
I seriously don't think a properly tuned knock control can solve this problem. THe only way is to increase the sensitivity to tell
ecu that the noise is normal, pls do not retard...
civicRSA

Post by civicRSA »

Well then you need to start trouble shooting. If it is your header then going to the Honda dealer with your issue will like you say most probably void your warranty.
It is no use guessing your cars power, you are going to need facts.

RTS and then measure the power on a dyno. If the power is below normal then I suggest you fit all your stock parts and see how the ecu behaves.
engjoo

Post by engjoo »

civicRSA wrote:Well then you need to start trouble shooting. If it is your header then going to the Honda dealer with your issue will like you say most probably void your warranty.
It is no use guessing your cars power, you are going to need facts.

RTS and then measure the power on a dyno. If the power is below normal then I suggest you fit all your stock parts and see how the ecu behaves.

Yes, I second the suggestion of going back to stock, including parts in order to isolate any problems.
august77

Post by august77 »

sc0rcher wrote:Hi CivicRSA..
Not that i would like to trouble myself, just tat I was wondering why a RTS can caused my car to run so badly as well.
I just wanna find out is it the stock ecu map is so badly done, or my car is seriously problematic.
When i drove my car after RTS, it is definitely don feel like a 200bhp car.. more like a hundred the most..
Somemore I had race header on... Or is my race header causing the noise when the engine tot is knock??
I seriously don't think a properly tuned knock control can solve this problem. THe only way is to increase the sensitivity to tell
ecu that the noise is normal, pls do not retard...
sc0rcher... due to the thickness of the race header, yes this can sometimes contribute to the knock count on 3. Especially on Flashpro.. this is due to the sensitivity in the program. The computer will not be able to differentiate false knock from real knock.

FYI, I am having this problem too... but, after tuning it... even if the knock count on 3 goes up, my power is till there. Instead of playing with the ignition first, you should try to play with the fueling to make sure the engine is getting the right A/F. Then you do ignition and back to fuel again to make sure A/F is still ok after playing with the ignition.
august77

Post by august77 »

since the ecu with flashpro cannot differentiate the false knock (normally sounds from race headers) and the real knock... you will need a knock mic with the head-phone to do that.
engjoo

Post by engjoo »

august77 wrote:since the ecu with flashpro cannot differentiate the false knock (normally sounds from race headers) and the real knock... you will need a knock mic with the head-phone to do that.
But the problem is the knock only comes after 1-2 days and get worst over time.