Civic SI throttle lag

FlashPro Manager software
HondaaaBoy

Civic SI throttle lag

Post by HondaaaBoy »

I did search for this topic, here and other places, but I would like a definitive answer from Hondata if I could.

When I press the gas pedal, it takes a second before the engine responds. Can the Hondata Flashpro reduce this time? I know that drive by wire will be slower (I hate DBW) but is this something that can be specifically changed with the Flashpro?

Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Civic SI throttle lag

Post by Spunkster »

You can edit the Pedal to Throttle body conversion tables.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

Isn't that the pedal to throttle ratio? Like 50% pedal = 50% throttle opening?

What I am talking about is the delay between when the pedal is pressed and when the throttle actually opens... can this be changed?

Thank you
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I am not aware of any delay.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

Oh... there is a big delay on the 06-11 Civic SI. A few people said they noticed an improvement with the flashpro, but I wanted to know if Hondata addressed that issue specifically or if it just improved as a result of better tuning and other things the flashpro does.

I guess I will see for myself if there is any improvement when my flashpro arrives in the mail...
ajpturbopittsburgh

Post by ajpturbopittsburgh »

Spunkster wrote:I am not aware of any delay.

That's actually kind of funny. I've heard people complaining about the throttle delay since the 2006 civic's introduction. It's so noticable.

You can disable the 1st gear throttle damper if you like though. Maybe that will help you
Nazul

Post by Nazul »

ajpturbopittsburgh wrote:

That's actually kind of funny. I've heard people complaining about the throttle delay since the 2006 civic's introduction. It's so noticable.

You can disable the 1st gear throttle damper if you like though. Maybe that will help you
Indeed it certainly has a delay since it does not work anymore with a gas cable.
And indeed this is a complaint since the car was released.
A decent tuner can get this out with flashpro yes.
I'm not aware how this is done but its possible.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

So I guess this is the official Hondata answer to my question?
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

HondaaaBoy wrote:
There is no delay.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

VitViper wrote:
HondaaaBoy wrote:
There is no delay.
Ha ha, is that a joke? How very strange. I guess I will just give up. It seems most people who own these cars disagree with you, VitViper. Maybe we are all just imagining a delay.
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

HondaaaBoy wrote: Ha ha, is that a joke? How very strange. I guess I will just give up. It seems most people who own these cars disagree with you, VitViper. Maybe we are all just imagining a delay.
No, just you. I've drive dozens of these cars at this point, and tuned more of them than you can imagine. There is no throttle delay with FlashPro. You can make the throttle map 1:1 if you want.
mucter

Post by mucter »

VitViper wrote:
HondaaaBoy wrote: Ha ha, is that a joke? How very strange. I guess I will just give up. It seems most people who own these cars disagree with you, VitViper. Maybe we are all just imagining a delay.
No, just you. I've drive dozens of these cars at this point, and tuned more of them than you can imagine. There is no throttle delay with FlashPro. You can make the throttle map 1:1 if you want.
There is the speed at which the throttle reacts to a commanded amount of opening. This is in fact quite slow on the stock ECU logic, particularly in the lower gears. The checkbox for "1st gear throttle dampening" is what sharpens this up. The "1st gear" part of it is misleading as it actually affects all gears to a varying degree. The tables and logic for this are quite a bit more complicated than what Hondata exposes (there are several tables that this one checkbox tweaks).

Also, the default throttle map on the Civic Si is very linear and muted. The default map on all flashpro maps is much more agressive. These things combined result in the difference people are accounting for with FlashPro.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

Thanks friend, that makes sense. I think the "first gear" part of first gear throttle damping was confusing me a bit.
mucter

Post by mucter »

Indeed it is confusing.

The throttle system on our car is quite robust. There is a LOT there that could be tuned. I have been asking Hondata to expose the tables for tuning it for a couple years now to no avail. sigh. That little checkbox is "cool" for a quick fix, but as a tuner, it's just annoying knowing what I could actually do with the system if I had control.

Like there are actually different response modes based on different configurable scenarios. Different rates of throttle opening in each gear based on response mode, etc... it's pretty neat, but it's all hidden.
HondaaaBoy

Post by HondaaaBoy »

VitViper wrote:
I meant the delay without the flashpro, not with the flashpro... I meant that everyone said there is a delay with the stock, non-tuned ECU. Sorry for the confusion...