DBW ITB Tuning

FlashPro Manager software
Gernby

DBW ITB Tuning

Post by Gernby »

I have completed the install and tuning for a DBW ITB setup on my S2000 with a FlashPro, and am now doing the same for my '13 Civic Si. I was expecting the Civic to be easier, since the FlashPro for the Civic has more features. However, I'm running into some unexpected issues related to closed loop operation.

Since ITB's create a non-linear VE table, I need the ECU to remain in closed loop at higher loads. I also need it to apply fuel trims while targeting the AFR's in the WOT Lambda Adjustment tables. The S2000 does it perfectly, as long as the target lambda value is above 12.5, but the Civic doesn't seem to do it at all. Is this expected, or am I just missing a setting somewhere?
'06 NFR S2000
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: DBW ITB Tuning

Post by Hondata »

Target lambda value or WOT compensation tables?
In any case, we don't support ITBs with the FlashPro. If you've been able to get it to work on the S2000, then full credit to you, but it is not something which we are going to develop features for.
Hondata
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

Yeah, I'm aware that you don't support or recommend the FlashPro or MAP-based tuning for ITB's. However, the question about closed loop isn't necessarily ITB related. Even with the OEM intake manifold, it's a nice feature to be able to set closed loop AFR targets at high load / low RPM. Below is the table I'm referring to (circled in red). I've tried different settings for the WOT determination, but it doesn't seem to have impact on the closed loop lambda adjustment.

'06 NFR S2000
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

Here's a screenshot of the low cam fuel map with suggested fuel corrections from the S2000. The MAP block that I developed is friggin' amazing.

'06 NFR S2000
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

I think the issue is that the TPS WOT determinations aren't working. If I use the MAP to determine WOT, it works as expected.
'06 NFR S2000
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

Nope... There is a bug for the Civic, but it was a biatch to figure out. I'll upload the calibration and datalog when I'm back online, but it is causing the closed loop target at high load to switch from whatever is in the WOT target adjustment table to 14.7 once it crosses a certain threshold. It took 10+ hours of datalogging, but I finally got a snapshot of it targeting 13.x in closed loop up until 4100 RPMs then it started targeting 14.7. It did this without any significant change in MAP, TPS, or STRIM.
'06 NFR S2000
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

'WOT target adjustment table'? This table doesn't exist. Do you mean the WOT compensation table? In that case, any value over 12.5:1 will result in unpredictable behavior.
Hondata
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

Hondata wrote:'WOT target adjustment table'? This table doesn't exist. Do you mean the WOT compensation table? In that case, any value over 12.5:1 will result in unpredictable behavior.
The WOT comp tables actually work great, I've used them with great success to fix drivability quirks on some vehicles.
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

After driving my '08 S2000 with DBW ITB's for the last 7+ years on a somewhat "daily" basis, I think I need to capture some corrections about some of the FlashPro functionality that is incorrect in the official documentation. I'm not sure where the best place to do that would be. Is this the best place?

As an example, the cranking fuel table is actually what the ECU uses to calculate a MAP value from TPS and RPM during open loop operation. The ECU actually blends TPS and MAP if the tables are correctly defined. This is hugely valuable for ITB's, since MAP isn't very useful once the throttle opens more than about 5%. I believe it would also be very useful for oversized throttle bodies.
'06 NFR S2000