Odometer Not Reading Correctly

FlashPro Manager software
tsjolley

Odometer Not Reading Correctly

Post by tsjolley »

Hi!

I own a USDM 2011 Honda Civic Si Sedan that is pretty heavily modified. After destroying second gear I decided to upgrade the transmission with PPG gears (1-4). The gear ratio is as follows:

1st - 2.615
2nd - 1.666
3rd - 1.15 Counter Teeth - 23
4th - .909
5th - .825 (TSX 5th)
6th - .659 (Stock)
FD - 4.056 (Gear-X)

I updated the gear ratios/counter gear teeth within my tune and still noticed my speedometer was off. After some fiddling and a little bit of math I adjusted the dash and ECU speed within the sensors tab up 139% on both which made my speedometer/vss dead on. Sadly, I have noticed the odometer does not read correct. On an approximately 13 mile trip the odometer read 6 miles traveled. I haven't been able to pin an exact percent difference between actual miles traveled and miles that the odometer reads. However from the testing I have done it is around 116 to 120% off of the correct mileage.

I was able to find one thread on this topic but the information I found was a little unclear. Is there any parameter or adjustment that can be made that will reflect the correct mileage on the odometer. I was under the impression that the ECU adjustment corrected the VSS as well as the odometer. Please let me know if there is a possible fix action as I am at a loss. Thanks!
mladjan

Re: Odometer Not Reading Correctly

Post by mladjan »

What I discovered on my car is that vss in the log is not the same as odometer value. For example, Im driving 248kmh, but in the log is 240kmh, GPS is another story :D
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

In the Calibration window under sensors you can adjust the ECU speed and the dash speed. You will need to adjust those so that you get them to match.
tsjolley

Post by tsjolley »

Thanks for the reply. I have already adjusted both the ECU and dash speed under the sensors tab. Should this have fixed the odometer reading incorrectly? @mladjan I think you may have misinterpreted the issue I am having. My speedometer is reading correct, it is the mileage I am driving that is off. Ex. Every 10 miles I travel the odometer only increases by 4.5 miles or so.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The odo reading is taken from the speedo.
tsjolley

Post by tsjolley »

Is there any reason why my speedo would be accurate however my odometer wouldn't be increasing accurately?
dinoc

Post by dinoc »

I used Dakota digital to correct the speedo, I assume it corrected the odometer as well, because it alters the signal before reaching the speedo. I have a CL9.
I set it so the GPS speed is matching the VSS but speedo will show allway more than VSS no matter what. Maybe it overreads the VSS signal to show more than VSS.
At 100 km on the speedo I have like 97 on GPS and the same on VSS. This accuracy is from factory as well, but what I don't recall is if with stock gears the VSS matched the GPS. Has someone tested this before changing the gears?

Not sure if the Flashpro is able to alter the odometer as well or only the speedo.
Last edited by dinoc on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Euro Honda Accord CL9
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The odometer is controlled by the cluster as far as I know. Your problem is that the number of teeth on 3rd gear are different, as the PPG gears have less teeth, even if the ratio is about the same, so the pulses to the cluster are way out.
Hondata
tsjolley

Post by tsjolley »

@dinoc The vss and speedometer have always been a little off. By about 3 or 4 miles per hour. I know other people have has this issue as well. Thankfully this won't affect anything other than your sanity.

Could you check to see if your odometer is reading correctly? If you could use your GPS on your next trip and compare the mileage your odometer increases to the actual distance the GPS says you traveled it would really help me out. I don't want to use the Dakota Digital Tool if it won't fix the odometer as my speedo and vss are currently correct. Thanks!

@Hondata The cluster is reading correctly however the odometer is not. If the cluster controlled the odometer shouldn't it be reading whatever the cluster is telling it to? Ex. If the speedo says 60 miles an hour the odometer will increase 60 miles an hour regardless of the actual speed that the vehicle is traveling? I changed the tooth count and ratios within the calibration to adjust for the different number of teeth. Would that not fix the odometer reading? If not, is there any correction that could be made?
dinoc

Post by dinoc »

There are 3 parameters, speedo, GPS, and VSS.
And you may add odometer as well.
We need to have a good reference from a stock car for all these, then you can do the adjustments accordingly.
for instant you don't know for sure if odometer matches the GPS from a stock car or if odometer is the same la VSS or the same like speedo ... Too many unknown variables that's why we need all these from a stock car first :)

I tried to match what GPS vs speedo was from factory, 97 on GPS is 100km on speedo, but I can't recall what VSS was before in refference to GPS or speedo.
Euro Honda Accord CL9