What exactly is needed in the dizzy after CPR conversion

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
illwillem

What exactly is needed in the dizzy after CPR conversion

Post by illwillem »

I have run the CPR on my racecar for a couple years now. Obviously i'd pulled the igniter along with the cap and rotor when doing the initial install. Last event I had the magnetic pick up for the CYP pick up snap off and bounce around inside the dizzy the car ran ok, started and drove back on the trailer etc until i noticed the tapping back at home which revealed the broken part behind my billet cover. I am wondering what signals exactly the CPR is looking for to operate. I'd like to gut things as much as possible to avoid this happening in the future. Obviously the car can start and run without the CYP pick up, mine was obliterated and i was still able to start and move the car. Can i remove that magnetic pick up all together on my replacement dizzy?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: What exactly is needed in the dizzy after CPR conversion

Post by Spunkster »

I do not recommend removing anything form the distributor as it makes going back to stock in a situation like this impossible and makes it much harder to diagnose a problem.
illwillem

Post by illwillem »

Thanks for the response, but nothing on my car is 'going back to stock' if I need to diagnose a problem i'll use my spare complete distro. I just need to know what signals the CPR box is interpreting so i can remove the unneeded stuff that has potential to take me out of a race, like it did last weekend.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It needs all the sensors in the distributor. There is really no need to remove anything from it for any more reliability. The act of removing anything may make it more unreliable.
gotjaydee

Post by gotjaydee »

Can the coil be removed from the dist.one of the wires will be hanging if removed, but if I leave the coil in then it could send spark to my billet cover
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

When properly installed there will be no power to the coil so this will not be an issue. Again there is no need to remove anything from the distributor.
gotjaydee

Post by gotjaydee »

Thank you for the response
lindseyhunt1090

Post by lindseyhunt1090 »

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure he understands there is " no need " to remove anything from the distributor. He is asking if he can and it will still function as intended. There is no need for me to remove the wiring from my factory engine harness for my secondary o2 sensor. but it's not in use and i don't want the wiring there. im in the process of building my third engine harness ( previous 2 worked perfectly ) im using the obd2 big plug distributor 9 wires.
ckp crank position + light blue
- white
cyp cylinder position + yellow
- black
tdc top dead sensor + green
- red
icm wire yellow/green

rpm lead signal. dark blue black/yellow

for the hondata cpr and the ignition system of the car to work properly is all of this wiring still necessary, or can some of the wires be de-pin and stripped from the engine harness as they are no longer needed. i am fully aware it is not needed. but i dont want wires in my engine harness that are doing nothing.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is still necessary.
Roberts

Post by Roberts »

I think my post will be relevant to topic. Haven't seen this anywhere so I have to ask this, @Spunkster

Does IGNITER performs any function after CPR is installed? I run external IGNITER on my OBD1 Civic and after CPR installation it's not connected to anything but POWER and GROUND. It's the way it should be or I am doing something wrong?

My external IGNITER has 4 wires:
* Red = 12 volt switched which stays on during cranking
* Black = ground
* Green = ecu ignition output generally yellow/green or pin a21/a22 on obd1 ecu (NOT connected, because A21/A22 is now connected to CPR wire #3 )
* White = output to ignition system like MSD or crane etc. (NOT connected, because car is running on CPR)

Can you please comment and confirm?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It does not use the ignitor with the CPR.