New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
EFICU

Re: New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

Post by EFICU »

That's good, it's definitely getting better, slowly. Might have been a touch too aggressive on the driving at this point, but we got away with it, things were pretty close. It's only running on the 0* cam angle right now, so it's nowhere near the overall power that you will feel. So if you're happy now, it will get even better as we go.

Here is the next one for you. This is the 0* cam angle again, but vtec is now at 4000. Take this one for another 20-30 minute datalog and be sure to get a clean WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500 on this one. From now on, the datalogs will all need to be 20-30 minutes with a clean WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500. We're moving forward now since things are much more inline.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev03 (0Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(23.54 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
TittermaryAuto1

Post by TittermaryAuto1 »

Ok, here is the next log. I am liking the improvements each time. With the previous tune, it seemed like there was a rev limiter, this tune didn't have it. I assume that's something that can be added/removed?
Attachments
12 CivicSi Log 4.fpdl
(654.68 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
TittermaryAuto1

I was nervous with the 7500 RPM, I don't normally hang in the redline like that.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That's good, you should like this next one now that we're moving to the 15* cam angle. It will be quite a bit stronger in part throttle driving and higher RPMs on the WOT pull. As everything comes together in the tune it will get better and better too. Your old calibration was so rich I don't know how it really drove well at all honestly. But at least we have you on the right track now.

So here is the next one. Let me know if you want to lower the rev limiter then based on your concerns. Or, we can leave it at 7500 but you can just plan to shift at 7000 or 7200, whichever you like. Then if you miss a shift or something it would be there at 7500 to protect the engine. But if you want the limiter set to 7200 or so, just let me know, it's your car so you have complete control of where you want it. I'll change it to the RPM you want in the next revisions, for now it's at 7500, so try to run it out to 7200 or so that way we can get the data we need.

Same datalog and driving style. We are on the 15* cam angle now with vtec back up to 5500.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev04 (15Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(23.27 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
TittermaryAuto1

Alright, here is the next log. There were some unfavorable testing conditions when I was starting the log, heavy rain rolled through. I noticed a latency in the throttle response at idle. My next question is, is the VTEC activation better to have at lower RPM, like 4.5k, or at higher RPM around 5.5-6k? I feel like I'm shifting out of it to soon, almost like I'm not getting the full effect of the VTEC.
Attachments
12 CivicSi Log 5.fpdl
(590.11 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah be careful when the weather sucks. No need to rush it and get you into trouble. As we change cam angles, things need to be smoothed out before it gets dialed, so you will notice little changes in smoothness perhaps as we go.

Vtec is decided using complete fuel tables to find the crossover point in fuel demand. Similar to how a dyno would look at power curves from each cam angle. We won't make that decision until the end. Right now I move it up and down so I can gather the data to make those decisions for you. I would guess it will fall between 4500-5000, but we won't know until we get to the 30* cam angle where that ultimately might be. Then we can move it up or down a little based on your feel in the car, but the data at least tells us the area to start. There really is no once vtec point for a certain group of parts. If the goal is just to get through the tune and get it over with quickly, you can make an educated guess. But using the data from the calibration helps you make a custom vtec point for your car, which is what we are doing.

It's looking really good now though. The fuel trims for part throttle are getting really good and the WOT fueling is starting to trend nicely. Here is the next one, vtec is at 4000 in this one, same 15* cam angle. Take this one for a spin with the same datalog and driving style.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev05 (15Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(23.58 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
TittermaryAuto1

I haven't been able to test the new tune yet. Multiple issues have plagued me. I had to install rear adjustable camber arms on the rear of the car to fix the alignment and to get rid of a noise. While I had it apart, I installed new OE shocks. The weather also has been uncooperative. Is it possible to section the log? Pause and restart? Or does it need to be one log?
TittermaryAuto1

The weather was favorable this morning, so I was able to get a log done. To me, It didn't feel as responsive as the last tune.
Attachments
12 CivicSi Log 6.fpdl
(607.69 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

To your first post there, the data we need, the general rule is average data is best so we can make decisions based on large data volumes. But if you have to, you can break them up. Now that we have so much data, it would be okay to break them up, though the 20-30 minute range is still ideal. In the beginning though, small datalogs would have definitely extended the process since the data pool would have been so small. We're almost there though, maybe three more revisions and we will blend everything out and begin to finalize everything.

That one looked good. No knock, it needed a bunch of WOT fuel changes with the new lower vtec so that is normal. We will now move to the 30* cam angle with vtec at 5500 again. Take this one for a spin when you can, same datalog and driving style. And as far as responsive and all that, it's all part of the process as we go. Being locked on one cam angle is a tuning tool basically, we won't have you like that in the final calibration.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev06 (30Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
TittermaryAuto1

Sorry it's taking me so long to get the next log done. I had a right rear caliper lock up on me and im waiting on the new brakes to come in. Everything is on back order.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That sucks. No problem though, just keep me in the loop.
TittermaryAuto1

I got my PowerStop calipers, slotted and drilled rotors, and performance brake pads. Everything is installed and I plan on doing a log soon. The car has been running good.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good, looking at the last calibration attached we're right in the middle of the process. So we'll get you to the fun stuff as soon as we can.
TittermaryAuto1

Ok. I got a data log in before the weather got bad again. It did the stall when giving it heavy throttle. It almost feels like a loss of fuel or a lag in pedal/throttle response.
Attachments
12 CivivSi Log 7.fpdl
(406.3 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Could you tell me a rough timestamp it happened in the datalog, five minutes into the drive, ten minutes, etc?

Another thing too, we're working through these revisions, this datalog showing some fairly aggressive driving. The tune is evolving, so being on a new cam angle now it's a little rich, that could be part of the problem.