will a palm 5 series work

HondaLogger datalogging software questions and answers.
b18c93

will a palm 5 series work

Post by b18c93 »

i have a palm 505 and wondering if it would work
it says palm os software v 4.0
its just another little motor with some big ass balls..
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

It will 99%. Have not tried it myself but should work. Palm >3.5 is a requirement so definately 4.0 is OK.
hondahatch

PalmLog-M505

Post by hondahatch »

B18c93

Did you get your Palmlog working on a M505 ?

I have a Palm 505 too using a PDCTU-M9-6 (6in Palm Universal/Tungsten Modem cable from Purple Data Cables (PN Technologies) but Palmlog does not work using this modem cable. I tried usng a hotsync cable and conecting a null modem cable, Palmlog still doesn't work.

I notice for Hondalogger on a laptop. RD(Receive Data) and CTS(Clear to send) is constant "High" signal when I turn on the ignition with Hondata S200. When I start up Hondalogger DTE(Data Terminal) and RTS (Ready to Send) goes on constant "LOW" signal. The moment I start connect on Hondalogger to start datalogging. RTS Signal pulse "High" for a moment and RXD start streaming data from S200 to Laptop/Hondalogger.
Using M505/Palmlog when I start Palmlog I do not see RTS pulse once. Is that why S200 is not communicating with M505. Is it different handshake signal is used for Palmlog ?

Can you or anyone help in telling me why Pamlog on 505 is not working ?
Is there something else I need to know ?

Many thanks in advance.
hondahatch

Post by hondahatch »

Hondata/Spunkster

Can you please help me with this ?
I bought PDCTU-M9-6 (6in Palm Universal/Tungsten Modem cable from Purple Data Cables (PN Technologies). PN is telling me that it is electrically compatible to PDCM5-M9-6. But I can't get it to work with Palm M505. What else can I check ?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The s200 does not use any handshaking lines at all, so the status of CTS, RTS, DTR, DSR doesn't matter.

Purple Data Cables does not say how the PDCTU-M9-6 is powered - it should be powered by the Palm. Also there is no pinout diagram, but going from their previous cables it sounds like it is the right type of cable.

The problem with the Palm software is that there are so many combinations of hardware, operating systems and software libraries that it is impossible to test even a small portion of the possiblities. You could try a null modem adapter to see if the lines have been switched, and also finding out how the level conversion chip in the cable is powered, and then checking it is actually getting the power.
Hondata
hondahatch

Post by hondahatch »

Hondata

I try using a Palm IIIxe and hotsync with a null-modem yesterday and Palmlog works.

I ask Purple Data Cables they told me the pin-out of PDCTU-M9-6 and the pin-out as follows:
Here?s the pinout on the DB9 end:

# Signal
1 n.c.
2 RX (Palm receive)
3 TX (Palm transmit)
4 DTR (Palm DTR)
5 GND
6 n.c.
7 RTS (Palm RTS out)
8 CTS (Palm CTS in)
9 n.c.

It is "pass-through" cable - there is no electronics at all in the cable. They also told me that M505 has built in RS232 transceiver.

I also tried the PDCTU-M9-6 with a null-modem to see whether the pins for tx and rx are switched. Done work.

Besides checking the voltages what else I can try ?
hondahatch

Post by hondahatch »

Hondata

The PDCTU-M9-6 cable that I bought was wired DB9 female pin config vs male pin config. PN is sending me a new one. Meanwhile I rewired the PDCTU-M9-6, use the M505 and hotsync/modem utility, it can communicate with a Sporster modem and dial out - no problem. I tried using hotsync/null modem cabling, M505 is ok too. RS-232 signalling voltages also ok.

I tried changing the resistor from 220 K(modem) to 100 K (RS232 device), M505 output pin8 (ID for 16 x pins Palm universal connector) to pin 12 (DETECT), short it ,to pin 7 (Signal ground) as well . M505 still won't work with S200. The PDCTU-M9-6 with 100K resistor is also able to communicate with a modem and dial out. Up till now, I am convince that the cable and M505 hardware is ok.

Using the Palm IIIxe with S200 for datalogging is good. I connected the Palm IIIxe to laptop. Using Hyperterm utility, 8 bits,N, 1 stop bit. Baurate--9600, 19.2, 28.8, 32 etc. I can see the IIIxe sending control char to the Hyperterm when I startup Palm Log. However, when I do the same using M505, it does not send any char. It seems that Palmlog on a handheld sends control char to S200 before S200 starts to transmit logging data back to the handheld.

Could it be that, using M505 OS 4.0 Palmlog is not running the way, it should ? Therefore the software flow control/handshake is not working it suppose to be. Do you or anyone know, whether the Tungsten ?? running higher version of OS than 3.5 and using 16 pins universal connector has any problem ?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Sounds strange - PalmLog should be transmitting the whole time. PalmLog doesn't use hardware nor software handshacking, but perhaps the serial port does. Are there any options in the Palm to disable handshaking? Also the baud is 19200.
Hondata