High flow catalytic converters?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
LordMothy

High flow catalytic converters?

Post by LordMothy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:15 am

Installing high flow catalytic converters is something I usually do when building a better performing engine. Should this be avoided until further development of the Hondata software for the 1.5?

I'm interested in the ability to pump more air without having to take the turbo to the edge of its capabilities.

Jun43

Re: High flow catalytic converters?

Post by Jun43 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am

What further development are you looking for?

You can run a high flow cat with no problem

LordMothy

Post by LordMothy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm sure I can run one and it will make a difference as is. My concerns are with catalyst codes, Readiness completion, 02 Delay adjustments.

I've noticed there is a "Disable downstream o2" check box but surely its not that simple. I'm still learning about this ECU but I'm also aware that some engines use the downstream for constant calibration of the upstream. Engines such as the LS3 or EcoBoost 3.5 will throw O2 switching codes because it distorts the delay between upstream and downstream expectations.

I'm just surprised how easy it is to use Hondata and its almost never as simple as clicking a magic button and usually changing the angle of the downstream A/F sampling isn't super effective on many of the engines I've dealt with.

Jun43

Post by Jun43 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 pm

disabling secondary o2 sensor is for off road use only. It will disable the code from popping up. Readiness will fail for certain tests if you disable it. Hondata does not alter readiness.

You should be able to run the high flow cat with no CEL or fail readiness. A few have been running them with no problem.

LordMothy

Post by LordMothy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm

That's about what I expected. I have no desire to completely alter the proper function of any readiness status. That being said, high flow cats aren't as efficient and running one sounds like a crap shoot.

Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am

Hondata