Hondata Torque Value vs. Dyno Measurement

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
arnoldod

Hondata Torque Value vs. Dyno Measurement

Post by arnoldod »

My car is 2019 Honda Civic 1.5T hatchback (non-SI) CVT from Indonesia. The car is manufactured in Thailand.

I got my car tuned by a local tuner. I download the calibration from Flashpro to my computer to check the torque value to make sure the torque is safe for both my engine and transmission.

The torque dyno measurement reflect Newton Meter value, the same as Hondata Flashpro Newton Meter. However, I find differences between torque set in Flashpro vs. dyno measurement.

Would you mind sharing Flashpro torque formula so we can estimate the torque needs to be set to ensure reliability for both engine and trans?

Hondata torque screenshot:

Dyno test result:
nigeldeathdk

Re: Hondata Torque Value vs. Dyno Measurement

Post by nigeldeathdk »

Hi arnoldod, Do you know if the stock power output of the car is 174 hp - 220Nm (162 lb-ft) ??? The power graph looks like it.
The base Nm values in the Ecomode suggest me to believe that those numbers are from the 180hp - 240 Nm version.
You Should be able to reduce the Nm a bit by adjusting the Torque at 5000-5500rpm down by 5 Nm to keep it at max 250Nm if that is the goal.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The torque value is from Honda's internal logic; not Hondata's.

+-5 NM at 250NM is fairly close I think.
Hondata
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

Hondata wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 pm The torque value is from Honda's internal logic; not Hondata's.

+-5 NM at 250NM is fairly close I think.
Thank you for the clarification.

The reason I'm asking this because I may need to rely on Hondata basemap +3PSI, and make torque limit adjustment from there to fully utilize Flashpro capability as the tuner, from whom I purchased Flashpro mentioned there were 2 vehicles with Hondata +6 PSI basemap had their piston bent and 1 vehicle even had 1 piston rod broken.

Thus, tuner only did fuel optimization.
nigeldeathdk wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:30 am Hi arnoldod, Do you know if the stock power output of the car is 174 hp - 220Nm (162 lb-ft) ??? The power graph looks like it.
The base Nm values in the Ecomode suggest me to believe that those numbers are from the 180hp - 240 Nm version.
You Should be able to reduce the Nm a bit by adjusting the Torque at 5000-5500rpm down by 5 Nm to keep it at max 250Nm if that is the goal.
I'm fully aware of 220nm specification of Civic 1.5 CVT torque. However, Indonesia version of Civic 1.5 CVT has 170 Hp at 5,500 RPM, and 220 Nm of torque from 1750 to 5500 RPM.

My target is not ambitious. I'm targeting to reach the same power as stock 2019 Civic SI in the US but I will be happy if I could reach Civic 1.5 Sport Touring power.

The tuner made it happen with only fuel tuning but I found high AF of 29. I'm using 98 RON fuel, which should equals to 91 octane. This is an indication that I cannot rely on the tuner tunes. Hopefully, Hondata basemap +3 PSI with CVT torque limit adjustment would do. :)
nigeldeathdk

Post by nigeldeathdk »

Hi again. A reading of AF 29 Is normal when there is no load on the engine. Like downhill with foot of the throttle.

RON98 = PON93 (american octane rating)

The 250Nm upper limit is to ensure the CVT transmission, the rod and pistons should be able to hold a bit more power.

I run 330Nm on my 2018 Civic Elegance 1.5T 6MT :-D
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

nigeldeathdk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:39 am Hi again. A reading of AF 29 Is normal when there is no load on the engine. Like downhill with foot of the throttle.

RON98 = PON93 (american octane rating)

The 250Nm upper limit is to ensure the CVT transmission, the rod and pistons should be able to hold a bit more power.

I run 330Nm on my 2018 Civic Elegance 1.5T 6MT :-D
Thank you for sharing the knowledge! :)

My objective is to make the car slightly quicker and more agile, while maintaining reliability. Thus, I am very conservative in setting torque limiter to ensure reliability of CVT and the engine.

This is my torque limiter setup:
dp download
arnoldod

Post by arnoldod »

Sorry to bring up old thread that I created.

I made adjustment to +6 PSI map and I made change not only to TC Max pressure but also fuel, and ignition tuning.

Datalog shows improving result so I decided to dyno the calibration. Please note the dip in the dyno sheet caused by heat soak as we did multiple run before the run for benchmark.

Interestingly, I find torque from 4,000 RPM to 5,000 RPM is higher than 250 Nm.

Below is torque limit that I set in the calibration:

Is this considered safe as dyno measure torque value higher than torque limiter?

Thank you in advance.