Does Boost By Gear Limit Work as It Is Intended for the CVT?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
arnoldod

Does Boost By Gear Limit Work as It Is Intended for the CVT?

Post by arnoldod »

Hi Hondata/Spunkster,

I recently had issue hitting my boost target. I set TCMPR of 2.5 kPA at 5500 RPM. BP CMD at 5500 RPM match my TCMPR but MAP and BP only reached 21 PSI. My understanding is that 2.500 kPA TCMPR should equal with 22 PSI of MAP or BP.

I did changed my Boost By Gear Limit. I changed the value Gear 2 to Gear 6 at 5000 RPM and 6000 RPM to 2.500 Boost.

I suspected torque limiter was the limiting factor although I have changed torque limiter value at 5500 RPM to 310 Nm.

I wonder if I can fully utilize Boost By Gear Limit for my CVT?

The idea is to limit power through Boost By Gear instead of Torque Limiter so I can turn off Torque limiter by changing the value to 655 just like the manual counterpart.

I attached the calibration and datalog for your review.

Please advise.
Attachments
2_5_kPA_BP_CMD_VS_MAP.fpcal
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
27-SEP-DIM-SI.fpdl
(6.55 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Does Boost By Gear Limit Work as It Is Intended for the CVT?

Post by Hondata »

Any one of the TC tables, boost by gear tables, torque tables could be limiting boost. They are not target boost tables, but all are limits.

The best approach is to reduce table, one at a time, by about 10% and then see which table drops your boost.

Be careful with the CVT.
Hondata
arnoldod

Re: Does Boost By Gear Limit Work as It Is Intended for the CVT?

Post by arnoldod »

Hondata wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:34 am Any one of the TC tables, boost by gear tables, torque tables could be limiting boost. They are not target boost tables, but all are limits.

The best approach is to reduce table, one at a time, by about 10% and then see which table drops your boost.

Be careful with the CVT.
I observed your competitor platform. This platform is winning market share in 1.5T sedan and hatchback market for its simpler logic in tuning with similar power result as Flashpro, while minimizing risk of engine damage from tuning.

The platform has no torque limit BUT it has more comprehensive Boost By Gear target calibration. Its Boost By Gear setup is done per gear by atmospheric as well. Similar as TCMPR but per gear.

There are many tuners prefer this tuning platform for its simplicity and its tuning capability. There are 1.5T CVT owners who upgraded their turbo with bigger turbo such as 27WON for almost a year and no issue with CVT.

So I thought MAYBE we can set torque limit more aggressively higher than 250 Nm, while still minimizing damage risk to the CVT, if we can use Boost By Gear Limit to limit boost by gear by RPM within TCMPR range effectively.

Please let me know if I'm in the the right direction.