High Knock Control?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Sleeper_FK7

High Knock Control?

Post by Sleeper_FK7 »

Just tried out the 265kpa 93octane minimum tune. Very pleaseed with how she pulls and overall feels a lot more aggressive than the 6+psi tune. From what I heard, 265kpa is roughly 9+ psi which for a while only the MT civics were getting due to the limitations of the CVT. So is there any worry with the CVT becoming damaged with this tune? And I run 93 octane gas with a gallon of e85 which I heard gets me closer to 95 octane. I got to 80% k.control w/ artificial knock disabled on this tune with a WOT quarter mile but only got 3 knocks? Got it back down to 54% k.control fairly quick with some sedative driving. Should I be concerned with this high of K. control or should it be fine?
janemar

Re: High Knock Control?

Post by janemar »

Sleeper_FK7 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm Just tried out the 265kpa 93octane minimum tune. Very pleaseed with how she pulls and overall feels a lot more aggressive than the 6+psi tune. From what I heard, 265kpa is roughly 9+ psi which for a while only the MT civics were getting due to the limitations of the CVT. So is there any worry with the CVT becoming damaged with this tune? And I run 93 octane gas with a gallon of e85 which I heard gets me closer to 95 octane. I got to 80% k.control w/ artificial knock disabled on this tune with a WOT quarter mile but only got 3 knocks? Got it back down to 54% k.control fairly quick with some sedative driving. Should I be concerned with this high of K. control or should it be fine?
Short answer is it's fine.

When does it start to climb up? Check which load and RPM. You can try to play with the knock sensitivity. In my case, im getting false knocks and high k.control as low as 1500rpm at very light loads which I corrected
Sleeper_FK7

Post by Sleeper_FK7 »

I wanna say well over 5000 rpm. Honestly wish I would have datalogged it before asking but its never at low rpms. This was with a WOT and didn't hit 80% or my 3rd knock until I was hitting over 115 mph. I've heard its normal for knock control to rise because it's supposed to in order to stop the engine from hurting itself. Just wanted to know I guess how high is too high of knock control and if artificial knock is disabled then is there more of a worry if it shoots up? And is this a safe amount of psi to putting on the cvt? I'm assuming so since its available for the CVT. Also just got a TSP Stage 1 tune but they don't have artificial knock disabled and got basically identical results (80% k.control on a WOT w/ 3 knocks). Which I did datalog that one. Waiting til this weekend to try out the 265kpa tune again.
Sleeper_FK7

Post by Sleeper_FK7 »

PS when I say WOT I mean WOT from a dig, and wasn't getting higher knock control until the end of a quarter mile if this makes sense.
janemar

Post by janemar »

Its normal for the fuel youre using. When youve disabled the artificial knock. It only means it rises due to real knock at high RPMs. If its a slow rise. It means not too serious. If its abrupt, say from 60 to 110 in few sec during WOT, then theres a problem.

Im assuming everything is good in your engine bay. As some rattling due to loose parts such as heatshields, etc. can cause noise to false knock and make your kcontrol shoot up when it isnt supposed to.

2 things to verify.

1. You can lower the boost and timing(stock) and re run and see if it shoots up.

2. Purchase some VP race gas.

Just as comparo, done a 150mph topspeed run on my cvt on a 90F day. WOT and 6k rpms at more than 60sec. Kcontrol is chill at around 54 on that run.
Sleeper_FK7

Post by Sleeper_FK7 »

Awesome thanks, thats pretty much what i thought but just wanted some reassurance. I'll mess around with it and see what I can do! I'm coming from the 6+ psi basemap and have been using same fuel and never saw my knock rise so just wanted to make sure my car wasn't going to explode haha. I'm pretty new to all this but have been trying to do as much research as I can. Thanks again.
2907958682@qq.com

Post by 2907958682@qq.com »

Hello, may I ask how you solved the problem of high detonation control values around 1500 rpm? My car is also in the same situation now
gaspfuture

Post by gaspfuture »

2907958682@qq.com wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:15 am Hello, may I ask how you solved the problem of high detonation control values around 1500 rpm? My car is also in the same situation now
I think everything in your engine bay is fine. As some shaking from heatshields and other loose parts can make noise that sounds like a knock and make your kcontrol go off when it shouldn't.
2907958682@qq.com

Post by 2907958682@qq.com »

Hello, my car's exhaust heat shield is not installed. A friend told me before that Honda's knock detection logic would record non knock as knock. In the first few months, my car was cruising at 1500 rpm and the knock would be very high. Later on, I avoided 1500 rpm and the knock would be very low. Recently, when I avoided 1500 rpm, the knock has increased again. I am not sure if this is the actual number of knock or the false number of knock, so I am asking you