P0016 error after overrev

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
FK8_W

P0016 error after overrev

Post by FK8_W »

I've been getting a P0016 error code after a 4th gear lockout from redline in third. I was able to catch it and didn't break traction or anything.

The car seems like it drives perfectly fine, no weird sounds or anything. I can reset the light but it will come back on after a highway drive but only when I come to a complete stop. The CEL is accompanied by the usual rev match error, brake system error, hill hold error, power steering error, ETC.

I took it to my technician who replaced a bunch of sensors and timing chain. but the light keeps coming back. As i mentioned, the car drives fine until the lights come on, and then it limits boost.

Any clues?

Thanks!
FK8_W

Re: P0016 error after overrev

Post by FK8_W »

2018 FK8 full exhaust, intake, dyno tune, intercooler
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If this occurred after an overrev and keeps coming back then it sounds like there may be some mechanical damage and that is what is causing the error. The act of ever revving would not damage the ECU.
FK8_W

Post by FK8_W »

my technician checked the timing chain, guide, tensioner, vtc gear, timing plate etc. and everything looked fine.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The error means the relationship between the crank sensor and intake cam sensor is incorrect. Almost certainly it is the timing chain or a component is bent which results in bad cam timing.
Hondata
FK8_W

Post by FK8_W »

Hondata wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm The error means the relationship between the crank sensor and intake cam sensor is incorrect. Almost certainly it is the timing chain or a component is bent which results in bad cam timing.
Thanks for the reply. They replaced the timing chain and a bunch of sensors. Car drives fine until fully warm after a semi long drive. Once I come to a complete stop, it throws the code and a bunch of lights. Car feels fine. It will make power before the light comes on. Idle is smooth. Power delivery is smooth. Car feels otherwise normal besides the light.

Any other ideas?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Return the ECU to stock. If you then get the same code you will know with certainty the problem is as we have described.
Hondata
FK8_W

Post by FK8_W »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll let my technician know.

I tried to flash back to stock and still got the error. He said after the timing chain and sensors replacement, the timing is fine. so might be some kind of component that's bent?

The trouble shooting from Honda is saying to try with a known good ECU as the next step.
FK8_W

Post by FK8_W »

I think it's something electronic, and not mechanical. My radio and keyless have been acting up along with some occasional longer cranking at startup.

I've had the centre display toggle radio stations itself occasionally, the keyless entry gives me the multiple beep quite a bit now, my apple CarPlay disconnected itself a few times as well. I have some LED lights in the car and the flashing LED tails. Should I remove those?

Here's a datalog:
Attachments
problem datalog2.fpdl
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can try, but the radio and keyless entry issues should not have anything to do with the P0016 error you are receiving.
FK8_W

Post by FK8_W »

another update: I drove the car the other day for about 30 minutes to work and the light never came on. Drove it home from work that day as well without the light coming up. But the next day the light came up again.

The light only seems to want to come on when the engine is warmed up and will only come up when speed reaches below about 13-15km/h.

I could drive for 100km's but if I don't stop, the light won't come on.

The battery tiedown was loose so I tightened that, but all the grounds were good.
Garrettsi

Post by Garrettsi »

Did you find the issue?

I have one with over rev that give the same P0016, I change the intake cam gear, what about yours?
monchiy2k

Post by monchiy2k »

I have the same issue too, did u guys find the problem?
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

yes problem is fix send me a PM
EVILCTR

Post by EVILCTR »

having the same issue
changed timing chain and cams all the sensors still have same code p0016