feature request: logging ambient temperature

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
Centripetal

feature request: logging ambient temperature

Post by Centripetal »

It might seem crazy to request this but I was previously logging ambient temperature before I was using Hondata. Consequently, my drive to work can have huge temperature variations. To give you an idea, a small rock chip on the windshield turned into a huge crack in the windshield because of the temperature swing; I could literately see the temperature dropping on the dash as the crack formed. In addition, considering the battle with heat and the FK8, having ambient temperature would be useful for determining the effectiveness of cooling mods.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: feature request: logging ambient temperature

Post by Hondata »

Sorry, the ECU does not have the ambient temperature.
Hondata
Centripetal

Post by Centripetal »

Interesting. Am I correct in assuming the FlashPro does not log via PID? Since the FlashPro uses the ELM327 protocol, would I be able to log ambient temperature (PID 0x40) via the app I was already using?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

FlashPro does not use the ELM327 protocol - it emulates it for some Bluetooth devices.

FlashPro also does not datalog using the J1979 PIDs. I'm not sure that the ECU supports PID 46 as well (the non Type R do not).

But if you find ambient temperature in one of the broadcast packets, it can be added it fairly easily (pending the 2020 CAN gateway isolating the DLC bus).

Last week my windshield cracked overnight after a 108 degree day.
Hondata
Centripetal

Post by Centripetal »

Thank you for the clarification on the FlashPro support of ELM327 protocol. Consequently, that's what I was logging ambient temperature with was a $30 OBD2 ELM adapter. I found a datalog that serves as a good example of how ambient temperature sheds light on what's going on.
Air_Temperatures.png
Air_Temperatures.png (55.31 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
Thanks for correcting my typo, PID 0x40 is the one for discovering supported PIDs and PID 0x46 is the one I was referring to.

Perhaps, I'll switch back to the ELM adapter when doing these temperature data experiments. I also have a bunch of CAN equipment so if I'm really feeling adventurous I'll poke around and perhaps write something so I can get the best of both worlds.

Fortunately, I have a 2017 Type R so I don't have to worry about the safety system isolation barrier.

Sorry to hear about your windshield. I now have no deductible glass on my insurance, which took me a few trips to the junk yard and the proprietor saying, "This glass comes with a lifetime guarantee... It will break. If it doesn't, I'll help you with it."