Turbo B16a Overheating only when crusing

Post your non-Hondata questions / problems here.
Coombs_43

Turbo B16a Overheating only when crusing

Post by Coombs_43 »

Hey what's up everyone. Car is a 93' Civic EG with a Turbo B16a on E85, makes about 500WHP. So I've been having this cooling issue lately ever since I had gotten off dyno a couple weeks ago. Currently, the car gets up to normal operating temps correctly and stays around 185-190. Thing is when I get moving and cruise around, my temp will slowly start to raise to about 204-208 and will not lower unless I come to a complete stop and let the fans cool it down. Also, lets say I go up a large hill or rip on it, the temps obviously raise a bit but then wont cool down like it normally should, just sits between around 208. I'm leaning towards a airflow issue since the cooling system is doing its job when the fans kick on at idle but then doesn't stay cool when moving since that's when incoming airflow is supposed to be doing the fans job. I had set the fans so they wouldn't turn off till after 60 mph; it worked for a bit but then slowly temps rose between 202-204. I should also add that it has been pretty hot lately but it does this even during the cooler nights. I've confirmed the thermostat is working correctly and have bleed the system multiple times. Any input is appreciated, Thanks guys.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Turbo B16a Overheating only when crusing

Post by Spunkster »

Post a picture of your engine bay including the radiator and fans.
Coombs_43

Post by Coombs_43 »

Here's some pictures of the bay. I currently have the bumper on as that pic was taken at my last dyno visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The problem is your radiator is not shrouded and is getting very little airflow through it. All the air is going around it instead.
Coombs_43

Post by Coombs_43 »

It has a shroud on it supplied by Mishimoto with their slim fan. But yes, I will see if I can make some ducting to get more airflow too the radiator itself and post an update. Thanks!
Coombs_43

Post by Coombs_43 »

So I threw this together last night. It's just a piece of aluminum of the top and bottom of the radiator to kind of have a shroud affect, but I'm guessing I also need to do one for the sides so it becomes a completely closed area? Just checking to see if I'm the right track
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

Is this modification getting the job done?
Coombs_43

Post by Coombs_43 »

We'll unfortunately, even after attempting to make some modifications to the bumper and using this mod, the temps still stayed kinda high when I was driving in the day. Just to confirm my issue was airflow I removed my bumper and drove around. Temps stayed between 185-190 and never got above 197 on 1-4 gear pulls. So I'm looking to to finish the shroud and just open up the bumper a bunch more to get the best airflow possible.
forevertrj

Post by forevertrj »

can you post your calibration, the only thing i could thing of is that your radiator fan is turning off after your speedometer passes a certain threshold, maybe 30MPH, and if this air speed is too low to sufficiently cool your radiator and you still need the fan on then we need to adjust this in the software. post your calibration so I may investigate.
Let's not make assumptions, please leave as much detail as possible!