d16a6 no knock sensor, any options?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Killa-X

d16a6 no knock sensor, any options?

Post by Killa-X »

I was reading the hondata s300 help file and it basically said you MUST read the knock count while tuning to see if there is detonation; however, some of us don't have knock sensors. What can we do to fix this? Also, the p28 ecu doesn't have knock availible to it does it? I have a p28 s300 setup and would like to install a knock sensor. Can I just wire one up, or is there no input on the p28 that can measure knock count?

Or is the only option to use an MSD knock counter, or the http://www.jandssafeguard.com/ (expensive)

Please help, so I don't blow up my motor.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The only way to use the knock control functions is to use a P30, P61 or P72.
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

I think only JDM P30's have a knock sensor board. I do not think the US model has and surely, the Asian/Euro model does not.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The US version P30, P61 and P72 all have knock boards.
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

Yes, I just saw it. It is just the Euro/Asia P30G ECU that does not have a knock sensor. This is also why timing is far more conservative in the P30G base program than the JDM or US equivalents.
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

Well this still doesn't answer my question about what do I do since my d16a6 doesn't have a knock sensor. Where should a knock sensor be mounted, and which one should be used. All knock sensors are designed to pick up different resonate frequencies.

So which one do I use, and where on the block do I mount it?