Best Base Map Calib. for New Intake Takeda

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Emount91

Re: Best Base Map Calib. for New Intake Takeda

Post by Emount91 »

NikkoPH wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm Adjusting if pretty straight forward, highlight the range, right click and click adjust, input -5 on the first cell. it should adjust it automatically by -5%
Here is the datalog with the -%5 adj to 1.5-2.0v
5perADJCity.fpdl
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
Here is the current calibration:
6PSI Update 08 19 19.fpcal
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

And here is the ShortTermFT Table:
5perADJCitystft.jpg
5perADJCitystft.jpg (228.34 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
And the LongTermFT Table:
5perADJCityltft.jpg
5perADJCityltft.jpg (196.9 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Looks MUCH better, but thinking I should go another -%5 in the same range? Or is that too extreme and I should do more like -3-2%.

I will say the car definitely felt a little different, smoother acceleration for sure.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

Made -3% adjustments to the same range last night, and took a very long datalog this morning of most of my ride to work.

Here is the ShortTermFT graph:
3perADJSpectrum.jpg
3perADJSpectrum.jpg (226.04 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
Here is LongTermFT graph:
3perADJSpectrumLTFT.jpg
3perADJSpectrumLTFT.jpg (190.33 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

Just made a few more minor adjustments:
From 1.1V to 1.2V I adjusted another -5%
From 1.2V to 1.3V I adjusted another -3%
From 1.6V to 1.7V I adjusted 3%

Hoping this will make my 0.0V to 2.0V very linear right around 0%

Looks like the top end (2.4V - 3.5V) needs to be a tad richer, but I will work on that end once I get the low end flattened out.

Now that being said, is there any other parameter/sensor I should be watching now that I am messing with the AFM? Does AFM indirectly affect something else in the ECU that I should monitor?
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

After those adjustments, low end is pretty flattened out, top end still needs to be richened up a bit but I want to get a longer datalog of these last adjustments I made, so I'll do another one on my 1 hour ride home. Thinking that mean line will flatten out a little more the more data I have.
3perADJSpectrumSTFT1.jpg
3perADJSpectrumSTFT1.jpg (219.76 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

Here is the current calibration that gave those AFMs
6PSI Update 08 19 19.fpcal
(15.49 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

A few more lunch break tweaks and logging:

Latest ShortTermFuelTrim Graph:
3perADJSpectrumSTFT2.jpg
3perADJSpectrumSTFT2.jpg (211.71 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Adjustments since last graph:
b/w 0.9 and 1.1 adjusted -3%
b/w 1.9 and 2.1 adjusted 2% the other way.

Will do an hour long datalog on my way home from work today and see what else needs tweaking. Im afraid that smaller datalogs are being swayed by 1ms outliers.
NikkoPH

Post by NikkoPH »

Wow, i like how you progress.
I would leave it as it is, but it's really great feeling calibrating your own car.

What car are you driving? I am still wondering why you can calibrate using AFM.v
I have a 17 Civic Si and all i can pull up from the graph is when i use AFM
It looks much easier when you are calibrating using your method.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

NikkoPH wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am Wow, i like how you progress.
I would leave it as it is, but it's really great feeling calibrating your own car.

What car are you driving? I am still wondering why you can calibrate using AFM.v
I have a 17 Civic Si and all i can pull up from the graph is when i use AFM
It looks much easier when you are calibrating using your method.
Thanks, man! Figured other curious people would like to see the progress and how much the trim changes with tiny little tweaks. Also, if that is how the canned 6+PSI tune from Hondata is running out of the box on my stock car, other people may want to check up on the health of their AFMs if they only installed the preloaded tune.

Nonetheless thank you so much for helping me learn how to do this, im excited for the new intake and almost hoping I have to do some more adjusting for it. This is fun.

Driving a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, I'm wondering if the AFMs are measured differently on the SI since the intake tube is bigger and different?

Also, you don't think I should add some fuel back in the 2.2V-4.0V range? Looks almost as off as my lower end was but in the opposite direction. Would that give me a tad more power in the top end of throttling or just a cleaner burn?
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

Here is my full (almost 1 hour, 90% highway, 10% city) trim graph after all adjustments made so far:
FULLCOMMUTEstft.jpg
FULLCOMMUTEstft.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Definintely need to add some fuel in the upper end, lower end probably still needs some tweaking but its eons better than it was when I started.
NikkoPH

Post by NikkoPH »

I would probably smooth it out.

This base maps have calibrations for stock air intake.
My intake is worst than what i thought, i am considering putting my stock airbox back,
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

NikkoPH wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:15 pm I would probably smooth it out.

This base maps have calibrations for stock air intake.
My intake is worst than what i thought, i am considering putting my stock airbox back,
Yeah all i have is the stock airbox right now with a k+n drop in, that’s why I was surprised how all over the place it originally was.

I smoothed some areas out and added fuel to the top end, data logging a few drives to see where it got me.
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

Once you get to this stage you can keep being more and more meticulous on the "peaky" areas. Couple suggestions to make life easier. Make sure when you pull the data the car is COMPLETELY WARM. Heat soak affects everything too. Outside temps near 75 are ideal. Major temp ambient temp swings definitely will affect results too.

Flash it. Let it learn in. few drive cycles. long data logs which you are already doing. Adjust a range. Rinse. Repeat.

Keep doing what your doing...
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

gtfrede07 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 am Once you get to this stage you can keep being more and more meticulous on the "peaky" areas. Couple suggestions to make life easier. Make sure when you pull the data the car is COMPLETELY WARM. Heat soak affects everything too. Outside temps near 75 are ideal. Major temp ambient temp swings definitely will affect results too.

Flash it. Let it learn in. few drive cycles. long data logs which you are already doing. Adjust a range. Rinse. Repeat.

Keep doing what your doing...
-Do you think my 1 hour long commute on the highway is causing a bunch of heatsoak that are skewing numbers?
-And should I be driving it with the new adjustments a few times before datalogging again? I have been adjusting at work, uploading it to the ECU, and datalogging on my commute home, looking at the graphs, adjusting at home, uploading to ECU at home, then driving to work in the morning and datalogging. Too frequent?

I really appreciate the advice! it's actually pretty fun trying to figure all of this out, and all the help I can get is only making this much easier.

Another quick question: If i'm running a little lean or rich while I am trying to datalog and fine tune and adjust, I'm not going to add any risk of damaging my engine, correct? From what I understand, fuel trims are the ECU correcting the amount of fuel to match the target AFRs. So the cars are technically not running lean or rich, they just need adjusting so the fuel trim process isn't always working non-stop. Is that correct or am I misunderstanding that?
NikkoPH

Post by NikkoPH »

-And should I be driving it with the new adjustments a few times before datalogging again? I have been adjusting at work, uploading it to the ECU, and datalogging on my commute home, looking at the graphs, adjusting at home, uploading to ECU at home, then driving to work in the morning and datalogging. Too frequent?
This is what i am doing for 5 working days.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

NikkoPH wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 am
This is what i am doing for 5 working days.
yeah basically I am datalogging twice a day and adjusting twice a day, i'm thinking that may be too frequent?
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

My initial setups are just as yall are doing. Once I feel I am close I will maybe do it once a week. Once I think its perfect Ill make a change once a month maybe. It always proves to me it cant be "perfect" lol. But I try to get it as close as possible. My last upload has taken about 2 months of daily use to get to -5% long term. I may end up leaving it the way it is to allow for colder ambient temps to hit that are coming to midwest soon. As this will make the trims start to go more positive or closer to zero.

As far as the rich lean and damaging question....as long as your changes arent overly dramatic the car will more or less take care of itself via fuel trims.
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

Basically the longer you drive on a flash the more sample data the ecu acquires and the more "overall changes" will be in your recorded data. Multiple days with different humidity and temperatures etc basically lets the computer learn your settings and you can then react to its reactions. If that makes any sense.